is it just me or is fibres not particularly good?

AF
Posted By
angus_farquharson
Jul 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
am trying to coax an effect out of fibres in photoshop to no avail. fractal noise in after effects is fantastic but i cannot use it in photoshop for printing purposes because as far as i am aware after effects only works at 72 ppi which is 36 dpi which is no where near enough for printing. there does not appear to be an equivalent in photoshop for AE’s fractal noise which is a great pity. or is there some deeply embedded functionality in fibres that I am not seeing?

can someone recommend a plugin for PS that works like the fractal noise in AE?

cheers !

Angus

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Silkrooster
Jul 25, 2008
Use After Effect if you want. It’s amazing how many think about just the ppi. The ppi is part of mathmatical formula that determines the size of the print.
Once you create your effect in after effects there is nothing stopping you from placing that image in photoshop to set the correct size for printing if you even need to. As it may not even be necessary if you scale the image to fit the page in the printer dialog box or use a program like InDesign and fit the image to the frame.
To find out what resolution you need to render at in after effects use this formaula: inches X ppi = pixels
So a 4"x5" @300ppi is
4×300=1200 px
5×300=1500 px
Making your resolution 1200×1500 px.
Just because the default ppi for after effects is 72ppi that does not mean the quality is not there it just means the size of the print is larger.
If you do need to resize the image in photoshop make sure you uncheck resampling.
AF
angus_farquharson
Jul 27, 2008
Hi

It took a while for me to figure out what you were talking about but it finally clicked.

Thanks for the help

Angus

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections