A
Posted By
ajfrank
Jul 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Windows XP, home, Epson 2200 printer and CS3. Normally,when preparing to print, the image appears red or magenta in the "preview" window but the print itself is accurate and matches the monitor. Now, the preview image is dark and roughly similar to the monitor but prints with a distinct greenish cast.

I have confirmed settings of no color management by the printer and checked ICM. I’ve read that this suggests no color management at all, rather than double profiling.

The monitor itself is calibrated but I wouldn’t think it would affect the preview image. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software[2x] and deleted Prefereences in PS, with no effect.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
Curvemeister
Jul 25, 2008
Ignore the preview image displayed by the Epson driver – this is an uncorrected image whose colors are very misleading.
A
ajfrank
Jul 26, 2008
some additional information on this post. Regardless of whether Photoshop or the Epson printer is checked to manage color the result is the same…….distinctly green. Also, no difference in the preview which should be reddish but roughly matches the monitor. A week before the onset of the problem I installed a Spyder pro 3. I tried uninstalling the colorimeter but no change.

I also tried printing with my very old HP. There is no preview window and the print color is in the ball park.

I’m no expert and am not at all sure if this is a Photoshop or Epson issue. Any help will be much appreciated. Arnold
C
Curvemeister
Jul 27, 2008
Have you verified that the magenta nozzles are working?
A
ajfrank
Jul 27, 2008
Yes. The magenta is OK. In the Epson 2200 the preview image normally looks reddish but prints are as expected. Even if the ink jets were clogged this should not change the preview appearance.

I do have a new twist which seems to confirm a problem in CS3. I hadn’t uninstalled CS when I got CS3 and thought I’d see what CS would do. The preview image in CS was as I hoped…….tinted red. I didn’t print the image because I’m sure it would be OK.

Before the upgrade to v. 10,0.0 there was a similar problem, cured by installing the newer version. I’m trying to reinstall the upgrade but so far no change.
J
Jim
Jul 27, 2008
wrote in message
Yes. The magenta is OK. In the Epson 2200 the preview image normally looks reddish but prints are as expected. Even if the ink jets were clogged this should not change the preview appearance.

I do have a new twist which seems to confirm a problem in CS3. I hadn’t uninstalled CS when I got CS3 and thought I’d see what CS would do. The preview image in CS was as I hoped…….tinted red. I didn’t print the image because I’m sure it would be OK.

Before the upgrade to v. 10,0.0 there was a similar problem, cured by installing the newer version. I’m trying to reinstall the upgrade but so far no change.
Yes, your color management is faulty. The purpose of all of this is to get the preview image to match the print. There are lots and lots and lots of places to look for methods to fix these problems (far too many to mention).

You need to examine the setup in CS and make the setup in CS3 the same.. That would be a prudent starting point. Have you created a new profile for your monitor?

I updated from PS 7 to PS3 just before the door closed on cheap updates. The colors in CS3 match those of PS7.

Jim
SP
Sid_Phillips
Jul 28, 2008
I’m printing with an Epson 2200 using custom profiles. Like you, I always get a reddish preview image and a near-perfect print. Red means good print, no read means bad print.

It sounds like PSCS3 is not applying the profile. In your print dialog, is Color Handling set to Photoshop Manages Colors, the correct profile is loaded under Printer Profile, and Rendering Intent is set correctly (I usually use Relative Colorimetric)? It sounds as if you’ve checked your printer driver to make sure ICM is turned off there.

If so, you might have a bad profile. Could have been damaged somehow. Can you load a fresh copy or make a new one if you roll your own? I would uninstall and delete the old one, then reboot and install the new one just to be thorough.
A
ajfrank
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks for replying. There has got to be something wrong with CS3. I printed with an old HP with CS3 with PS managing color. Result, green print. Then with CS. Result, perfect color. I think I’ve taken the Epson 2200 out of the loop. It seems to me CS3 is not applying any profile and the image and/or previews are completely unmanaged. How do I reinstall this for CS3?

Thanks, Arnold
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 28, 2008
not sure if it’ll help, but there were some printing fixes in the update. do you have the update (10.01) installed?
A
ajfrank
Jul 28, 2008
Dave, I do recall printing problems before downloading that update. My recollection is I needed to have the printer managing color. That gave me a decent result while PS was green. After the new version everything was fine.

I did try a reinstall of 10.0.1 but with no change in the problem. I do hope Adobe does offer me tech support for this.

Thanks
A
ajfrank
Jul 29, 2008
Faulty green print and resolution! Thanks to Epson tech support and apologies to Adobe CS3. I confess to "user error" in missing my incorrect setting in the CS3 print window for "printer settings". I entered Pro RGB instead of the correct paper profile, which screwed everything up. Another instance of looking at the obvious and not seeing it! The tech also suggested unchecking "match print".

Things are back to normal, with a magenta preview and normal prints.

Thanks for all the support.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections