CC
Posted By
Captain_Cook
Jul 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I often have to make borders for certain pictures, and I usually make them at 3px. Sometimes they are nice and thick like 3px should be, but sometimes they come out thin. It doesn’t matter whether I am editing on a jpeg or png. Also I edit them in grayscale mode if that helps. I also noticed them problem with the brush, and text tool, as in pixels changing size (going from normal to smaller). I have tried resetting all settings. Should I remove the configuration folder in AppData (I use vista 64 bit)?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2008
What are the pixel dimensions of the images? Are they all the same size, or various? Are you viewing them at 100%?
CC
Captain_Cook
Jul 21, 2008
the images are usually around 1200 height, though sometimes they can be up to 2500. I view them at various percentages.
CB
charles badland
Jul 21, 2008
Do you see a variance in border size when viewed at 100%?
CC
Captain_Cook
Jul 21, 2008
Yes. Since 3px pencil is pretty small and shows up as a round dot, I ofter zoom in so I can see what I am doing. I notice that when zooming in, sometimes I have to zoom in further to see the pencil pointer change into a square.
O
OldBob
Jul 22, 2008
I may be missing something here, but . . .

What’s the Image Resolution on the pictures (height x width x resolution)? Are they all the same? A three pixel border on an image 1,000 pixels wide is going to look significantly different than a three pixel border on an image 50 pixels wide.

That said, why are you drawing the borders? Couldn’t you Select All then Select > Modify > Contract (set to 3 pixels), Then Select > Inverse and do an Edit > Fill to make your border?
CC
Captain_Cook
Jul 22, 2008
The images are usually 1200px height, around 830px width, and 72px resolution.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but I draw my own comic book, and the borders are not for the whole page as that method you posted is intended for, but for single panels. I have a quick way of doing them. And it’s not just the borders that lost the intensity that 3px should have, but I assume all my painting tools.

I would give you a comparison pic, but photoshop seems to be working correctly now, even after a restart. Not that it hasn’t worked before. I could be doing 7 pages, and then on the 8 it would just stop working correctly (the pixel problem that is). I mentioned before that I also had a text tool problem, where sometimes I had to double the size of text where previously 14px worked just fine. So I still think it’s an all around px problem.

Have any of you heard of a pixel problem like this before, and should I just reinstall? The border problem is a big issue because I can’t just double the size. The borders become rounded, and I really don’t like that (not to mention obviously not at the same size as before). I really just want my photoshop to be accurate.
O
OldBob
Jul 22, 2008
Oops . . . missed posts 1 & 2 where most of my questions were asked & answered (too early, not enough caffeine — D-oh!).

If the problem crops up again, before you reinstall, have you tried trashing prefs? (see the FAQ section if you don’t know how.)
B
Buko
Jul 22, 2008
reinstalling and keeping your old prefs leaves you in the same place as before you reinstalled.
CC
Captain_Cook
Jul 23, 2008
@OldBob

Thanks. I trashed my prefs and things are still working, so hopefully it will continue working and I won’t have to reinstall.
O
OldBob
Jul 23, 2008
<Montgomery Burns> Excellent! <Montgomery Burns>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections