L
Posted By
LMC54
Jul 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to dump Windows operating system family in favor of Apple OS X and it’s been a pure nightmare with Adobe sales. I’ve dumped hundreds of dollars into Adobe to be treated like crap, I’ve been an Adobe user for at least 10 years and faithfully upgraded with each new version that is including Illustrator. They told me I have to buy a full version for Mac and basically start over. 🙁 I’ve already went through the ordeal with their method of guaranteeing the software for Windows will be destroyed with no responses and this has been over 6 months ago. Presently I own 2 licenses for Photoshop CS3 and one of the purchases was an internet order error. I tried to get that corrected at no avail. So now I have 2 licenses which does me no good. I called sales to see what they could do for me and said that I couldn’t buy an upgrade version for Mac from a Windows version. I just rolled my eyes. They did offer me a deal where I would dump around 700.00 for a package that included other software packages which I had no freaking interests.

All I want out of this, is for Adobe in their next version of CS4 to have the option for the license to be able to run on either Mac or Windows just like Lightroom. I think this is only fair and just. I’m so mad that I’m almost tempted to start using cracks. What happened to the keep the customer happy attitude. Maybe Adobe has gotten to big to even care about the customer base.

Phoooey

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 16, 2008
they’ve always done "cross-grades" in the past.

I’ve already went through the ordeal with their method of guaranteeing the software for Windows will be destroyed with no responses and this has been over 6 months ago

escalate to a supervisor.
L
LMC54
Jul 16, 2008
I’ll try your suggestion.
Thanks
CB
charles badland
Jul 16, 2008
From John Nack, Senior Product Manager, Adobe Photoshop:

"Q. Can I switch my product from Windows to Mac or vice-versa?
A. Yes. Just call Adobe Customer Service (800-833-6687 in the US; 020 7365 0733 in the UK…
The process, as I understand it, involves signing an agreement stating that you’ve destroyed the product on one platform, and in return Adobe will send you the product for the other platform. According to the service folks, there may be a cost involved; verification of product is required; and restrictions apply."

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/05/cs3_switching_p.html>
I
ID._Awe
Jul 16, 2008
Why don’t you run the Windows software under ‘Bootstrap’ on the Mace or whatever their emulation software is called.
L
LMC54
Jul 17, 2008
Charles: I’ve already have done this as stated with my opening statements. I believe Adobe calls it the letter of destruction. I gave up that route and want to pay for an upgrade. I would think that would be a bit more profitable for them. Anyway, when I get in the mood to talk to them about my situation, I give it another go, hopefully with people who can help me out.

ID.Awe: Why? I’m trying to run away from Windows applications.
S
Silkrooster
Jul 17, 2008
You would think Adobe would be protecting its best interest by requesting that the windows version be returned, then there is no question as to the legality of the CD’s. Then if Adobe wanted to charge for shiping and maybe the costs of the CD’s when they were blank they could.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 17, 2008
Every disk is the same. The only thing different is the serial number so getting the disk back would be meaningless.

Bob
NA
Not_Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 17, 2008
If you are trying to get away from Windows, you might consider running Photoshop via Wine in Linux. You can use your same hardware and same Photoshop license and you get a POSIX system like Mac.
I
ID._Awe
Jul 17, 2008
Mac & Windows versions are the same. When you get the Mac, don’t forget to get Leopard so you can wonder why you bothered with the move.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 17, 2008
If you get a Mac you have no choice. You get Leopard whether you want it or not and even if you could get a copy of Tiger you can’t install it.

The Mac users would have field day with that if Microsoft tried to pull it off.

Bob
L
LMC54
Jul 17, 2008
Only thing similar is the workspace, kinda. So far 10.5 os X boots quicker, shuts down quicker, better color management, no virus scanners going and so far I like it much better than my Vista x64 or win xp spp 3. Both systems are very similar visual speaking except for the location of the menu bar and the dock and mac seems not to bash the hard drive as much. So far I really like OS X. I guess it comes to what you prefer is important or not but for me it seems more logical in the sense the GUI of mac is intuitive, this is speaking in terms of my taste and how I like to see an OS run. For some people I would assume windows is more intuitive. I’ve been using Windows for many years and to use an OS that fits me like OS X is nice. Only thing I need to learn now is the UNIX commands for the OS X console. That will take a week or so. But I like it.

Sorry this is getting off topic, just want get my problem fixed.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 17, 2008
BH
BILL_HUNT
Jul 22, 2008
LMC54,

Some years back, I was tempted to "go over to the dark side," and contacted Adobe. This was about CS time. Then, they said that everything that I had (except for a few titles that were not available on Mac) could be converted over for the price of the upgrade.

I see two possible answers:

1.) Adobe changed their policy, but really wonder about that.

2.) You did not speak to the correct folk.

For me, the offer was free of stings, or any problems. I did not avail myself of it, and stayed with MS OS, but the Customer Support folk were very helpful, took time to look at every Adobe program that I had registered and told me of the few, that were not X-platform.

One thing that I have noticed is that with some of the various "suites," older upgrade paths are now closed, if one upgraded to a suite, from a qualified stand-alone. Since I’ve got most of the suites, and also had original standalone licenses, I was a bit shocked that I could not upgrade to just PS Extended CS3 any longer. In the "old days," even if you bought a "suite," you got individual licenses for each program in it. Now, it’s not so linear, nor is it so easy.

Sorry, if things are different now, vis-a-vis X-platform upgrades.

Hunt
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 22, 2008
the offer was free of stings

A typo, or a political statement???
BH
BILL_HUNT
Jul 23, 2008
A typo, only. No political comment – heck, I’m not that quick!

Hunt

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections