dual core and quad core are they beneficial to Photoshop?

B
Posted By
BobChapman
Jul 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am thinking of upgrading my PC, but only if the dual-core and quad-core machines will run Photoshop and Lightroom faster than a single core machine (which I have now). Does anyone know if Adobe has upgraded their software (CS3 and Lightroom) to take advantage of the multi-threading that’s possible with multi-core PCs?

Thanks
Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Ho
Jul 14, 2008
Dual core is certainly worth the investment, although not all functions utilize both cores. I assume that quad core suffers the same under-utilization. Future versions of PS will no doubt be better optimized.
I
ID._Awe
Jul 14, 2008
Like the 64 bit CS4. Yummmmmmm!

I would go with the new Quad-cores (not extreme versions) for future proofing. I currently have a quad core and agree with Howard.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 15, 2008
Nothing is future proof! 😀
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 15, 2008
Tease!
I
ID._Awe
Jul 15, 2008
oops, meant ‘reasonably’. By the way Maya 4.5 from 1994 does a better job using mult-procs (read uses all) than PS.
B
BobChapman
Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for your input, everyone.
Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections