What Photoshop Version is Required for a Novice?

JP
Posted By
Justin_Paines
Jul 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I get my graphics done professionally for my business, but simply need to change or add some of the text on existing .psd files which I have had professionally prepared.

What is the most basic level of Photoshop I should purchase that will give me this capability to alter existing text?

Many thanks for the help!

JP

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
Jul 4, 2008
The most basic version is Elements.
JP
Justin_Paines
Jul 4, 2008
Hi John – thanks, but will Elements give me the capability to open psd files, and alter text on them?

JP
B
Buko
Jul 4, 2008
If these files are CMYK Elements is not a good choice.

It seems that you need the real thing.
JP
Justin_Paines
Jul 4, 2008
Now I’m confused! What’s CMYK?
I
ID._Awe
Jul 4, 2008
If you have to ask, then you don’t need it (it is for print press output).

I’m sure the latest version of Elements will do (especially if you have to ask).
B
Buko
Jul 4, 2008
I get my graphics done professionally for my business, but simply need to change or add some of the text on existing .psd files which I have had professionally prepared

If these files are for print and he needs/wants to make changes He needs the full version, not Elements.

Justin IMO you should not be making changes to these files as you don’t have the understanding of what is going on. My advice would be for you to take a class and learn how to use Photoshop or just let your professional do it.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 4, 2008
My advice would be for you to take a class and learn how to use Photoshop or just let your professional do it.

that might also get you the educational discount on the price of the full version, which is pretty steep.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 4, 2008
Before giving Justin possibly wrong advice it would be good to establish what these graphics are to be used for and whether his professional "preparer" can advise whether the files are in CMYK mode or RGB.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 4, 2008
right. the people that create the images would best be able to answer your question.
PK
Prale Ketts
Jul 7, 2008
——– Original Message ——–
I get my graphics done professionally for my business, but simply need to change or add some of the text on existing .psd files which I have had professionally prepared.

What is the most basic level of Photoshop I should purchase that will give me this capability to alter existing text?

Many thanks for the help!

JP

JP,
You will probably run into issues with the typefaces/fonts should you open the source psd files. Be sure to request the font files from your professionals before editing. If you lack the font files your text will potentially render improperly. I believe Photoshop will alert you to this.

Prale

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections