Posted By
BILL_HUNT
Jun 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Jeff,

One caveat to PS users, who do work that will be brought into other Adobe applications and involves the Maximize Compatibility aspect. Do not know what changes have been included in the CS3 suite, but in CS2, the other apps, especially InDesign, really had problems when MC was turned off. Things might well be different now, but a test would be in order.

I also found the same issues with CS2 Production Studio, in that PremierePro2, Encore2 & AE7 had the same issues.

These are considerations for folk producing images that might go into other apps, especially Adobe apps, and even in the same "suite."

Hunt

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

F
Freeagent
Jun 29, 2008
in CS2, the other apps, especially InDesign, really had problems when MC was turned off

In CS3, I have no problems placing a psd in InDesign with maximize compatibility off – even 16 bit with layers and alpha channels.
BH
BILL_HUNT
Jun 29, 2008
Freeagent,

That is good to know. As I have nothing beyond CS2, I did not know what changes might have occurred. My warning is now moot to all with CS3 and above.

Thanks,
Hunt
P
PECourtejoie
Jul 1, 2008
Jeff, in the future, please state that you are saving/opening the file off a server in your opening message, as this is not considered standard procedure, and was part of the cause of your slowdown.

Did you try to time saving locally, then moving the file to the server?
JR
Jeff_Rozar
Jul 1, 2008
Yes, the network was only part of the slowdown. The biggest part of the slowdown was the Image Preview and Maximize Compatibility settings, which used 100% of the hard drive utilization. Fixing those helped a ton.

I’m sure each shop has its own standards; it makes sense for the shop I’m working with to keep everything centrally located on a file server. They did try keeping everything local before I got there, but they ended up in a nightmare trying to manage multiple local copies, esp with many part-time workers.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections