Photoshop interpreting color JPGs as grayscale RAW files for some reason…

S
Posted By
Smurfy
Jun 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Friend of mine just sent me JPG images to work with. They’re about 700k in size each. They preview fine on the desktop. The thumbnails come through fine as well.

However, when I open them from Photoshop CS3, the Camera Raw 4.4.1 utility opens, and the JPGs are all black & white, instead of color.

Other JPGs not from this batch open fine in Photoshop (no Raw utility, and color is present).

Again, I wouldn’t mind the Raw GUI opening so much if not for the fact that I can’t get them in color. All pics seemingly open as grayscale.

Yet all preview panes and thumbnails show these pics in color.

Any ideas?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike Russell
Jun 25, 2008
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:11:47 -0400, JY wrote:

Friend of mine just sent me JPG images to work with. They’re about 700k in size each. They preview fine on the desktop. The thumbnails come through fine as well.

However, when I open them from Photoshop CS3, the Camera Raw 4.4.1 utility opens, and the JPGs are all black & white, instead of color.
Other JPGs not from this batch open fine in Photoshop (no Raw utility, and color is present).

Again, I wouldn’t mind the Raw GUI opening so much if not for the fact that I can’t get them in color. All pics seemingly open as grayscale.
Any ideas?

Look for xmp files with the same name as the jpegs.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
K
KatWoman
Jun 25, 2008
"JY" wrote in message

Any ideas?

what if you open them in Bridge and clear the develop settings?? or in the RAW dialog at bottom of the window change the MODE setting back to RGB

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections