G
Posted By
gowanoh
Jun 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have wrestled for a year with trying to use LCDs with CS3. Calibrating with either a Monaco Optixx or a Spyder 2 yields excellent color matches but prints that are at least two stops too dark. I have work-arounds, involving arbitrary adjustments to brightness or curves just prior to printing, but this is not the what-you-see-is-what-you-get experience I used to have with CRTs.
In fact I hooked up a slightly dim but formerly high quality CRT to a machine running CS2, calibrated the thing, and by Jiminy judging brightness on the CRT yields that ideal WYSIWYG experience: a nearly perfect print. Would a device like the Spyder 3 with an ambient light meter yield better results?
Unless I can buy, which I can’t, an uber expensive dedicated graphics panel am I doomed to work-arounds because LCDs are so frigging bright that even a calibration sensor cannot adjust for their brightness?
Is off-axis light fall off from the LCD fooling my failing eyes? That should not be a factor for calibration . . .

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
Monty
Jun 17, 2008
it hurts wrote:
I have wrestled for a year with trying to use LCDs with CS3. Calibrating with either a Monaco Optixx or a Spyder 2 yields excellent color matches but prints that are at least two stops too dark. I have work-arounds, involving arbitrary adjustments to brightness or curves just prior to printing, but this is not the
what-you-see-is-what-you-get experience I used to have with CRTs. In fact I hooked up a slightly dim but formerly high quality CRT to a machine running CS2, calibrated the thing, and by Jiminy judging brightness on the CRT yields that ideal WYSIWYG experience: a nearly perfect print.
Would a device like the Spyder 3 with an ambient light meter yield better results?
Unless I can buy, which I can’t, an uber expensive dedicated graphics panel am I doomed to work-arounds because LCDs are so frigging bright that even a calibration sensor cannot adjust for their brightness? Is off-axis light fall off from the LCD fooling my failing eyes? That should not be a factor for calibration . . .

See Your earlier post "Colour"

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections