Posted By
ejungle
May 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
RE: Photoshop CS3

I am learning to use Photoshop and doing well(ish) I thought, but am totally frustrated with this probably very simple process that I cannot get.

I have one word that I need to give the effect of a neon glow.

So far I have:

1. Filter
2. Artistic
3. Neon Glow
4. Now, when the Neon Glow (100%) window comes up, I cannot get anything to change or do a thing? Please give me some direction from here.
My word is there, should it be selected? If so whith which tool? etc.

Thanks in advance!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
May 18, 2008
What color is your object or type? What are your background/foreground colors in the Color Picker? What color is the Glow swatch? Have you tried sliding the sliders? Is the layer transparent or merged with a background color?
E
ejungle
May 18, 2008
Hi Ed
Thanks for your reply.
I’m not sure that I can answer all the questions though!

The type is black at the moment, but I want the neon glow/sign to be blue. The bacground is just as it is when you open a new document and type text. Tried the sliders but they didn’t seem to do anything.
And, I don’t know if the layer is transparent or merged with the background colour? Kate
P
Phosphor
May 18, 2008
You should have your Layers palette open. Then it will be obvious whether your type is on a transparent background or not.

When you enter type it is on a transparent background (the checkerboard). It needs to be rasterized for filters to work on it. Merge it with a white background (or flatten) to do that. Then call up the filter,

There is a colored square in the filter dialog. Click this to bring up the Color Picker and choose your glow color. How it will appear depends on where the sliders are.
DR
Donald_Reese
May 18, 2008
I must add that i just played around with a text layer and tried the filter- artistic -neon glow on that layer, and no matter what color i choose using the color picker box, it still keeps the color that is showing in my foreground/background box. it shows the selected color in the color picker,but never changes it. i can pick a color in the swatches and make the glow that color,but not from the color picker in the neon glow. maybe she is seeing the same thing.
E
ejungle
May 19, 2008
thanks for your help guys.
I will keep trying.
JJ
John Joslin
May 19, 2008
I think most of the artistic filters are old and crude and never were very good.

For a neon glow effect, have a look at this tutorial:

<http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/NeonArtSM.mov>
E
ejungle
May 19, 2008
thanks John – will check it out.
P
Phosphor
May 19, 2008
I agree. You could probably do what you want with Layer Styles and have a lot better control and it would be editable.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections