K
Posted By
Kugar13
May 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to make a graphic to be used to frame video footage for a music video I am shooting. I’d like for the ‘frame’ to make the footage look like a 1920’s photo that is damaged around the edges. I want to give the audience the impression they are looking at an old photo that has an animated video in it.

The problem is I’ve exported a few samples as a test. The center was transparent upon export, yet became white when I re-opened the image. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. The background setting was selected as ‘transparent’. Is there a way around this? Any suggestions?

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong….

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
May 14, 2008
What file format of image you are using for your video editing/compositing app? PSD and Targa (with alpha channel mask) are typical for video compositing.
K
Kugar13
May 15, 2008
I guess it was going to be PSD. I didn’t give other formats much thought. I probably would have finished the image as a PSD and exported as various different formats and check which one looked best.
CO
Celeste_Orrantia
May 15, 2008
Jim is right, but I think it might depend on the video editing app you are using, I use Premiere and I always use Targa files when I need to have alpha channel.
K
Kugar13
May 15, 2008
I’m using Premiere Pro 2.0. I’m not familiar with alpha channel, hence the problem I’m having. =)
CO
Celeste_Orrantia
May 15, 2008
Have you imported the image into Premiere? And it didn’t have an alpha channel (transparency)?
K
Kugar13
May 15, 2008
I worked on something in the past that I imported into premiere. Upon import the area that should have showed up transparent was black. I wasn’t sure how to fix the problem. I don’t know very much about photoshop (other than a few tricks to make promotional materials with it), so I’m not sure what I did wrong.
CO
Celeste_Orrantia
May 15, 2008
Let’s start with the Photoshop file: make sure that it is RGB, 8 bit or 16 bit and the aspect ratio is same as your Premiere file, go to your Channels palette in Photoshop and add a new channel. It should say Alpha and will appear Black. Just click the RGB top channel. When you go to Save As you should see the Alpha Channel box checked and either save it as PSD or TGA. Premiere Pro should see this graphic with the alpha channel. I don’t use Premiere Pro, I use Premiere 6 and it has a tool when importing a Photoshop file that allows you to choose the visibility of the alpha channel. You can select either white or black as the color where the alpha will appear. Look to see if you have that ability in Premiere Pro if your file does not appear with transparency.
S
shyamlimbu502
Nov 13, 2012
On Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:47:29 AM UTC+8, wrote:
I’d like to make a graphic to be used to frame video footage for a music video I am shooting. I’d like for the ‘frame’ to make the footage look like a 1920’s photo that is damaged around the edges. I want to give the audience the impression they are looking at an old photo that has an animated video in it.

The problem is I’ve exported a few samples as a test. The center was transparent upon export, yet became white when I re-opened the image. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. The background setting was selected as ‘transparent’. Is there a way around this? Any suggestions?

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong….

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections