SH
Posted By
Steve_Hudson
May 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I downloaded my old 7.0 to my new computer.

The program works fine but I can’t open a file directly from the HD. It asks me what program I wish to open it with and Adobe 7.0 is not an option so I go to "browse" and locate the Adobe file, click on it but it still doesn’t add it on as an option. Image ready is an option allready but I want to use Photoshop. When I have the 7.0 running, I can open a file from there by going to "file" then "open" but I can’t directly open a file from the hard drive.
I’m planing to buy CS3 but I’m trying to figure out how to make what I have right now work. What’s wrong? Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Steve

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
May 14, 2008
did you install it from the disk? you should if you didn’t. that’ll take care of all those associations for you.
SH
Steve_Hudson
May 14, 2008
Yes I did. I dumped from the HD and re-loaded it.
Thanks
JT
John_T_Smith
May 14, 2008
First you "downloaded" then you "re-loaded"

To be clear… did you run the SETUP program to install?

This is the ONLY way to update the registry so the program works properly
P
Phosphor
May 15, 2008
i"I go to "browse" and locate the Adobe file, click on it but it still doesn’t add it on as an option."

There is a check box that says "Always Use this program…" You have to check it.
SH
Steve_Hudson
May 16, 2008
John,
No, I removed it completely and then loaded it again. I just followed the auto install instructions.

Ed,
I tried that but I can’t even get it to pull the Adobe program into the "recommended program" box as an option.

Thanks you guys. Keep thinking for me.
P
Phosphor
May 17, 2008
<Curley>"I’m tryin’ tuh think, but nuthin’ happens!"</Curley>

🙂
DM
dave_milbut
May 17, 2008
in windows explorer, go to: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0

and right click the "Photoshop.reg" file. select "Merge" to add the reg entries to your registry. (if merge isn’t there, select "Open With" then select regedit.exe – if you have to browse for it, it’s in C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe – check the "Always open with this app" box before hitting ok.)

try to double click an image to open. if it still doesn’t work,

in windows explorer, right click an image you want to open in photoshop.

select "Open With" from the menu (you might have to hold shift while right clicking to see this option).

if "Adobe Photoshop" isn’t in the menu, click "Choose Program…"

click the "Browse" button.

navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0 and select "Photoshop.exe", hit ok.

check the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" hit OK.

that should do it.
P
Phosphor
May 17, 2008
Dave,

That’s what I was suggesting (the second one), but he seems to be saying that he tried that and it didn’t work.
DM
dave_milbut
May 17, 2008
I know. just making it clear. 🙂
SH
Steve_Hudson
May 19, 2008
Dave,
I followed your suggestions and still nothing. After I browse to Photoshop and click on it, the file does not get put in as a program option to use.
I’m still stuck. 🙁

Steve
SH
Steve_Hudson
May 19, 2008
Hope you guys are still here. I know it’s been a few days. One thing I just noted is that when I go in to "set associations" under default programs, a .jpeg, .bmp or .tiff file (for example) all say "unknown application" under the default column.
Does that mean anything to you for helping me with my problem? Thanks.
Steve

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections