P
Posted By
phillr
May 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Today I was using Adobe Bridge to combine sets of 3 photos with different exposures to create HDR images and sending them to Photoshop. So far today I made 20+ such images and successfully saved them into PSDs.

I just ran into an odd problem. After clicking ‘Merge to HDR’ in the Bridge -> Photoshop option, Photoshop did it’s thing of merging my 3 images. The preview window came up, it looked perfect, so I clicked ‘Ok’. Then it created an Untitled document (as it always does), except that this image is much darker than what was shown in the preview. I tried doing some light adjustments, can’t get it to be what I saw in the preview window.

All of my other HDR creations were exactly the same as I saw in the preview window. What’s going on?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KS
Kurt_Schuette
Jul 21, 2008
Once you hit okay in the preview window and Photoshop creates the 32-bit image, you may want to try going to your view menu and adjusting your 32-bit viewing options.

I have created a Photoshop video tutorial that goes over HDR image creation in Photoshop that I have linked to below. Feel free to check it out if you are interested in the content In the first part of the video, I use Photoshop’s HDR tools only. In the second part, I use the Photmatix plugin to create the final HDR image.
Creating HDR Images in Photoshop < http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1525866/photoshop_tutorial_cre ating_hdr_images_in_photoshop/>.

Hope this helps!
-Kurt
JH
John_Hunly
Jul 25, 2008
One important thing to keep in mind is that what you see on screen when working with 32-bit images IS NOT the actual image. There are no monitors at least consumer priced monitors that can show 32-bit’s of data. What you are seeing is a faked representation. You will only see the real image when you convert out to 16-bit or 8-bit.

Also, many video cards allow you to set 32-bit color in the control panel (Windows, can’t speak for the Mac) this is NOT the same thing as a 32-bit HDR image. The 32-bit color is the number of colors NOT the dynamic range from darks to lights it is this dark to light data that can’t be seen on monitors.

BTW I just recently learned this from a podcast from the digital photography connection. The have Lightroom and Photoshop podcasts and just recently covers HDR for both programs, this was covered as was PhotoMatix.

wrote in message
Once you hit okay in the preview window and Photoshop creates the 32-bit image, you may want to try going to your view menu and adjusting your 32-bit viewing options.

[edited by host]

Hope this helps!
-Kurt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections