CS3 Requires Segoe UI – Not good for CRT users on Vista.

SH
Posted By
Steve_Halpern
May 7, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I am posting this in hope that the Adobe designers can remove the requirement for Segoe UI in their user interface.

I have had to make certain special changes so that I could disable Segoe UI and ClearType in Vista so my screen looks clear. Segoe UI, ClearType, and Vista do not mix well.

But the only fix I know that removes Segoe UI from the Vista UI does not allow users to use Photoshop CS3 because Photoshop REQUIRES Segoe UI as the UI font and there is no alternative that I know of. So this leaves CRT users forced to use undesirable settings in Vista, which are blurred fonts that can contribute to eyestrain.

Segoe UI is a Cleartype font, which looks terrible on Vista when users use CRT’s (these are still common and sold for many reasons, especially for exact color graphics and other things requiring super clarity). See my article at < http://steve.fsxtreme.com/blogs/2008/01/16/say-no-to-segoe-a nd-cleartype-on-vista/> on how I fixed it on my system. But doing this disables PhotoShop, which leaves people in a difficult position.

Forcing Segoe UI on customers with CRT’s was a major oversight by Microsoft IMO. I hope you all can change your product to allow for non-Cleartype fonts in your user interfaces.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bill_Lamp
May 7, 2008
Looks like the cure is to use XP and not Vista. Another reason for not "upgrading". Is Windows Vista the new Windows ME? I can’t recall hearing anyone saying much good about it.
J
jcates
May 7, 2008
These are those who like it, but most do not. And I’ve heard the Windows ME comparison more than once and I tend to agree with it.
I
ID._Awe
May 7, 2008
You’re both crazy, Vista 64 Ultimate is where its at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BL
Bob Levine
May 7, 2008
I’ll second that…with the exception of the exclamation points.

And CS4 64 bit will make it even better.

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 8, 2008
I’ll wait and see.

Vista playing media police is waaaay to much!
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
Vista playing media police is waaaay to much!

ping!

upgrade to xp pro. 🙂

friends don’t let friends install vista.

Vista: It’s the new Windows Me.
JJ
John Joslin
May 8, 2008
That’s what I thought till I tried it!
I
ID._Awe
May 8, 2008
daveys just old school! Yes sirree, good ol’ Command Prompt Dave.
JJ
John Joslin
May 8, 2008
Just a minor irritation which ID or Robert might be able to scratch. Photoshop seems to be the only application which doesn’t honour the chosen UI colours.

Any ideas?
SH
Steve_Halpern
May 8, 2008
You can configure Vista so it works a lot like XP.

1. Install Vista.
2. Disable User Account Control.
3. Make Sure Data Execution Protection is set to Essential Programs and Services only.
4. Disable the Aero Desktop.
5. Disable the Indexing service
6. Disable Windows Defender.
7. Right-click Program Files (with subfolders) and change the Owner to your account.
8. Change the permissions of Program Files (with subfolders) so that your account has full control.
9. (Optional) – Change your desktop theme to Windows Classic so you do not have that awful blue XP style title bar and frame.
10. Use the various tweaks common on the net to reconfigure IE7 (move the menu to the top, hide the command bar, etc…).

With the above, I almost have an EXACT XP like experience. Asides from a few relocations of items, it all feels the same. Of course I had to use the NoSegoe tweak to get rid of Segoe UI as I use a new 21-inch CRT. But overall, it is no different now from Windows XP.

It is a lot to have to do! But it is better than the alternative if I must use Vista in my job, which I need to do.

Also, I use a good virus scanner that allows for me to use it as I need it, such as NOD32.

Steve
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008

why? 😛

some people here have reported problems running photoshop cs3 with aero turned off.

like bob or id, IF i went, i’d go 64bit. there’s no reason to choose 32bit vista over xp pro.
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
Disable Windows Defender.

I installed and leave that running even under xp pro. better safe than sorry.
BL
Bob Levine
May 8, 2008
like bob or id, IF i went, i’d go 64bit.

Hedging your bets, Dave? <g>

As for the original issue I’m using two Dell Ultrasharp LCDs. So, to be perfectly honest, it’s not something I consider to be a problem. I never really thought about it.

Maybe someone else has an answer.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
Hedging your bets, Dave? <g>

only if i buy a new machine between now and next windows release (for a kids machnine). i don’t see that happening, but hey, i COULD win the lottery! 🙂

another way i might use it is if my company decides to upgrade. then whattya gonna do. you gotta do it.

another big issue for me (as larry said) is vista’s whole drm thing. if you have a non ‘approved’ device in your chain, your content will not play or will be intentionally downgraded. i don’t want an os telling me what i can do on my system thanks. i’ll go to linux before i go that route.
BL
Bob Levine
May 8, 2008
We’ll see if you’re still singing that song when CS4-64 comes out. 🙂

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
May 8, 2008

I had worked that out already but I am not interested in an XP experience. It’s just that regardless of what colour scheme I choose in Personalization (eg Graphite) everything in the Photoshop UI is a pale insipid blue.
BL
Bob Levine
May 8, 2008
It’s not just Photoshop that does that and I’m not really sure of the technical reasons for it but if you pull a graphic completely out of the application window it will take on the attributes that you’d expect to see.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
We’ll see if you’re still singing that song when CS4-64 comes out.

if osx is selling retail to all intel users by then, i may defect! 😛
BL
Bob Levine
May 8, 2008
I hope you’re not holding your breath on that one, Dave.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
although didn’t i read that osx version of cs4 64 would be delayed compared to the win version?
BL
Bob Levine
May 8, 2008
It will indeed be delayed. So delayed in fact that it will be called CS5.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
hmm… 🙂 we’ll see. by then windows 7 will be out.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections