LF
Posted By
Lisa_Fuller
May 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running Photoshop CS2 on PC. When right clicking on layers to bring up the Layer Styles / Blending Options palette, I can get the palette okay but the selections won’t work when I check the boxes.

I try to select different options….drop shadow, inner shadow, etc. but nothing shows up. It’s not a preview problem because the changes are not visible in my image even after I select OK.

I’ve reset my preferences (alt+ctl+shift) but it didn’t help.

Can anyone suggest to me what I can do to wake up this palette?? I’ve got work pending and my online searches have left me empty handed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lisa

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John Joslin
May 5, 2008
What format, mode and bit-depth is the file?

Will the dialog work on other files?
P
Phosphor
May 5, 2008
Are you on the right layer? Are you applying Styles to objects on a transparent layer? If not the Style applies to all pixels on the layer, not just your object.
LF
Lisa_Fuller
May 5, 2008
Thank you both for your responses.

John: The file is PSD, RGB mode, 300dpi. Last night, I tried the layer styles in another file and it wouldn’t’ work…. another NEW file. Today, I opened an existing file that had layers styles already in effect and I can see them, I can click them on/off AND I can put layer styles onto other layers in the existing files that did not have them previously. I just tried creating a new file and, of course, the layer styles now work in the NEW file…. this is something I tried last night and it didn’t work at that time.

Ed: Yes, I’m on the right layer. I’ve tried it on several layers, none of which are transparent. Thanks for the heads up.

So, this tells me it’s something to do with this particular image file. I must’ve accidentally hit something that’s put it into a strange mode. Last night, out of frustration, I just gave up, shut it all down, and turned the computer off. This morning, I went in and created a new image document and then one by one I copied and pasted the layers of my malfunctioning image into the new one. Now I can get the layers to work.

I have no idea what was wrong, but it seems I should just trash the problematic file and start fresh. At least the individual layers were not compressed and it’s still salvagable.

Thank you both for your time and consideration!

Lisa
P
Phosphor
May 5, 2008
Tell us what happens when you do that.

My point about transparent Layers is you need the object to be on a transparent layer. If the layer is solid pixels the Style applies to the entire layer and you may not see it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections