MK
Posted By
Mirek_Kin
May 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Rob. I am about to complete my rig based on Tyan i5400xt as a 3d animation ,Video editing station and right now i am trying to configure my Memory setup.What is your exoerience about Ram . What type did you buy and how many slots did you fill. Besides what type of cpu cooling do you use.
My rig
Tyan i5400xt
Be quiet Dark power 1000W
Cooler Master cosmos 1000
Nvidia Quadro fx 4600

To be purchase
Velociraptor 300 gb
Xeon E5420 I plan to run it on 64 bit OS.

Cheers

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RC
Rob_Champagne
May 8, 2008
Unfortunately my PC build hasn’t happened yet.
However I decided on the following ram:

< http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?mfr=Tyan& model=S5396+Tempest+i5400XT>

I would fill all slots if possible as you should get better performance that way but I think you must fill one slot from each channel which means at least 4 slots.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 8, 2008
It’s hard to go wrong with Crucial memory. You may be able to get it at a lower price by using an reputable independent online vendor (I saved a bit by buying at NewEgg) and ordering the part number you choose from Crucial’s configurator. For my box, I used two matched pairs of Crucial’s Ballistix DDR2 RAM. The Ballistix line is the company’s lowest-latency, highest-speed RAM (i.e., the sticks that test the best, with an integral heat spreader. They cost more, but even the best RAM is pretty cheap. If you use the Crucial configurator, the Ballistix line has a yellow jacket and a part number that begins with BL. It’s oriented toward high-performance gamers, but is equally helpful to Photoshoppers and video editors.
JT
John_T_Smith
May 8, 2008
Do be aware that no current Adobe product is tested and certified to run on either Xp64bit or Vista64bit – so you may or may not get the software to run, but you won’t get support from Adobe (and a wide variety of degrees of help when visiting the user to user forums

Over in the Premiere Pro forum there is some discussion of the next CS4 version with, I think (didn’t pay much attention) a posting with a link to an Adobe employee’s blog where he talks "some" about future plans for a 64bit version… for Vista64 only, since Xp64 is a dead end

If this were me (not, I don’t have any extra $$ right now) I’d go ahead and buy the hardware I need… but keep running a 32bit OS until Adobe catches up with 64bit development
BL
Bob Levine
May 8, 2008
From: http://www.adobe.com/education/products/creativesuite/faq.ht ml

Do Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications run on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista?
While Adobe Creative Suite 3 software is natively 32 bit, these applications will run on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista. For an in-depth overview of 64-bit computing and its value, see this blog from Scott Byer, Adobe Photoshop software architect.

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections