Posted By
Jean Olbrechts
May 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone,

I can be wrong, but I do remember reading some newsletter telling Adobe is launching Photoshop CS4 64bit for Windows in May ?

Is there any expert able to give some comment about it ?

Regards,
Jean

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JS
Jeff_Schewe
May 3, 2008
Photoshop CS4 64bit for Windows in May ?

You’re dreaming….Adobe said 64 bit Windows version of CS4 "when it ships" and they didn’t say ANYTHING about when that might be. It sure as heck ain’t gonna be May.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 3, 2008
Jean,

I don’t think that’s the case.

BTW, black helicopters with agent Smith types looking down on you may be hovering over your location already.

Seriously, if it were due this month, it would have been announced already.

Rob
CY
curt_young
May 3, 2008
Adobe’s official announcement was probably CS4 "May" be introduced. 🙂
BL
Bob Levine
May 3, 2008
Typical upgrade cycle is 18-24 months. We’re at a little over a year right now.

Bob
P
Phosphor
May 3, 2008
Jean…

Two of your best sources for the most reliable "insider" Photoshop info are probably John Nack’s blog <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/> and Jeff Schewe & company’s PhotoshopNews <http://photoshopnews.com/>

Bookmark them, and check in regularly.
JO
Jean Olbrechts
May 4, 2008
Hi,

Many thanks all of you for responses.

I probably must have dreaming someting I would have in reality. 64bit should be fine for image analyzes (my job).

I will stay with the CS3 so far, until…?

All the best,
Jean
B
Buko
May 4, 2008
remember

those know can’t say.

those who say don’t know.
DM
dave_milbut
May 4, 2008
this just in from a reliable source (asterisks)!!! cs4 will be out next week! and there’ll be a 128 bit version! and all the csi features we’ve been asking for will be there! get your orders in!!! 🙂
JO
Jean Olbrechts
May 4, 2008
Correct !

I meet more and more people who say:

Now, listen to me, I know what I’m saying.

In french we call it (translated): "The temptation of certainty "!

To day, we have the tendency to live in a world of certaincy, indisputably perceptions, categorical !

I’m an old timer (!), and I learned to adapt appropriated logical methods. But to day, who cares ?
Jean
RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 4, 2008
cs4 will be out next week! and there’ll be a 128 bit version!

Correct. And immediately followed by CS5 and CS6.

Then we will all finally start to use PS, instead of lust after newer versions than we have.

Darn! I would shoot with a pinhole camera if I had to!

Rob
I
ID._Awe
May 7, 2008
Salesrep: "Our new version is a step backward in quality and reliability. We’re counting on your irrational need to have the latest version of every software product."

Dilbert©: "I hate your weasel guts… but I’ll take one for home and one for the office."
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
(paraphrasing)

sales guy: that product demo was great dilbert! i sold 1000 units already.

dilbert: that was a beta. the product won’t be ready for a year!

sales guy: oops. i seem to have single-handedly killed our product line. maybe our competitor is hiring. i’ll bet sales will be brisk!

phb: dilbert, i need the new product by tuesday.
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
so cs4 should be out by… tuesday.
DM
Don_McCahill
May 8, 2008
Of course. We just don’t know which Tuesday.
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
that goes without saying. 🙂
J
jcates
May 8, 2008
The same Tuesday we get paid for the hamburger we gave today.
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2008
careful jcates, you’re showing your age! 🙂
J
jcates
May 8, 2008
Nah. Now if I start using words like "whippersnapper" and phrases like "back in my day" regularly in sentences, I would start showing someone elses age, but not my own.

If I said stuff like "I remember when my Atari 2600 was the envy of the neighborhood," then I would be showing my age.

Anyway, Adobe will release whatever it wants whenever it wants, but the only thing we can be sure of is that they won’t wait too long before they release it. They just can’t stand new product being more than 2 years old.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 9, 2008
Buko:

those know can’t say.

those who say don’t know.

Schewe:

It sure as heck ain’t gonna be May.

Hmmmm……
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 23, 2008
details wanted…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
There’s lot’s of stuff to whet your appetite here:

< http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/seminars/?tracki ngid=DNOUD>

Enjoy!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 23, 2008
Have path features been expanded to include some ‘streamline’ illustrator behaviors, have the pen tool in both applications been made more ‘similar’ to each other for keystrokes, etc.?

That’s my main area of interest as I like to work with vectors a lot.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
Some clips about illustrator CS4:

<http://tv.adobe.com/#pd+Illustrator>
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Sep 23, 2008
Looks like some great stuff in that upgrade this time. Ann you will be pleased as I was to see that maybe they were listening to us after all … a LOT of stuff I have asked for, and many people have. Its great to see these little things…

• Return to three "F" screen modes (vs. CS3’s four), Application frame (optional on Mac for those who want more managed document/window handling)

• Delete multiple channels at once.

• Eyedropper option to sample all layers or just the current layer

• Layer masks can now stay linked to Smart Objects while moving/transforming the objects

• Perspective transform: You can now apply non-uniform transforms to pixel-based SOs – Distort too?

Only one major worry in there … Adjustments panel, whats this? hopefully not some huge dialog of some sort, if it is I hope its optional
B
Buko
Sep 23, 2008
its a panel of quick adjustments

And adjustment presets you can make and save.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 23, 2008
"• Perspective transform: You can now apply non-uniform transforms to pixel-based SOs – Distort too? "

This was already pretty good as Transform Distort in CS3, I wonder what could have been added here. How does it work? More Handles?
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Sep 23, 2008
Oh, just stuff to make it easy for beginners then. Making the already obvious even more obvious, banging people over the head with whats been there for years anyway…

• improved color range, lets hope it improves the FUNCTIONALITY of color range and not just the interface.

• Ability to adjust the density (opacity) of a layer mask – was there already just by hitting command L and sliding the output slider. Lets see if this has any practical use.

• Ability to add non-destructive feathering to a layer mask – if this is available on VECTOR masks too then it has all kinds of great uses

Ken there was no Distort transform in CS3 on SO’s – only skew, and warp obviously
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
If you’ve used it long enough, is the limit on the number of fonts showing on the menu still there? Or are we doomed to continue to be "entertained" by questions from users who can’t see their fonts in Photoshop?
B
Buko
Sep 23, 2008
Never been one to activate all 5000 of my fonts so I can’t really say. Still waiting for someone else to do it.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 23, 2008
Or are we doomed to continue to be "entertained" by questions from users who can’t see their fonts in Photoshop?

Of course, for those of us with a gazillion fonts, it’s a non-issue if we intelligently manage our fonts. But then again, there’s still the camp that will never believe that just because you can do something, it doesn’t mean you should. <g>

At least, it appears we can look forward to some useful changes in PS4. If similar holds true for the rest of the Suite, many of us will be looking forward to the upgrade.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
For Ken (if he hasn’t found it already):

< http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2008/09/illustrator-cs4-fa cts.html>
C
Cindy
Sep 24, 2008
Ann, did you check out the entire suite? I saw enough on the demos that I am very excited about a few of the apps. Illustrator has multiple pages, the new brush which creates things in objects. That alone will save me a lot of time.

There are just too many things to mention. I just want to know its pretty solid.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
All that I can tell you is that what I have seen has been rock-solid and very exciting — but we will have to wait for the Shipped version to fully experience it.
NT
Nini Tj
Sep 24, 2008
Illustrator doesn’t have multiple pages – it has multiple artboards. Which is not the same thing. InDesign has a lot of very good stuff too.
I only wish that DreamWeaver CS4 would have more of GoLive in it than it has. For more info go to adobe.com and read the product pages. It is all there.
PM
Paul M Norman
Sep 24, 2008
The 3D stuff seems to be very much improved.

I also like the fact that there is an easy import path from InDesign.
JG
Jim_Goshorn
Sep 24, 2008
Question for you Ann:

If you work with the tabbed interface and want to drag layers from one file to another, do you just drag the layers to the tab of the other file?

Thanks!
B
Buko
Sep 24, 2008
you can just drag the tab away so you have 2 frames. this version is much more versatile
MB
Martin_Bergstrom
Sep 24, 2008
The big questions for me is if it these things in Photoshop CS4 will work better in Leopard than Photoshop CS3:

•No occasional delay in opening/saving files just because a network volume containing several .psd files is mounted.

•No (at least less) crashes.

•No "not coming to front when clicking on it, forces me to force quit even if Photoshop hasn’t really stalled" issues.

If those things are fixed I’m sure our retouchers at work will be quite happy! 🙂 And yes, we have tried repairing permissions… 😛 😉
CB
charles badland
Sep 24, 2008
Ann or Buko,
Do you if my “pet peeve” Crop+Rotate+DownSample bug got fixed? First time I posted here, years ago, was about image distortion when doing all three in one step. I mentioned it on J Nacks blog, he emailed me saying he had no idea what I was talking about.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
CS4 was written for Leopard (while CS3 was not because Leopard did not then exist in its final form) so I think that you can expect CS4 to outperform CS3 in the situations that you mentioned.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Charles:

It seems to have been fixed.
B
Buko
Sep 24, 2008
CS4 may have been written for Leopard but it still works equally as well in Tiger.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 24, 2008
The big questions for me is if it these things in Photoshop CS4 will work better in Leopard than Photoshop CS3: •No (at least less) crashes.

CS3 in my (Macbook Pro and Mac Pro, 10.4.11, no network volumes) experience has been as solid as an app can be; CS4 could not be more solid. Operations under 10.5.x and network volumes are another issue…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Exactly!

But you will need to put a GL video card (which I do not yet have) in your computer to use some of the features.

Mac OS
PowerPC® G5 or multicore Intel® processor
Mac OS X v10.4.11–10.5.4
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on flash-based storage devices)
1,024×768 display (1,280×800 recommended) with 16-bit video card Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0 DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7.2 software required for multimedia features
Broadband Internet connection required for online services*
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 24, 2008
I’m thrilled with CS4, but I’m already looking forward to CS5 or CS6 on the Illustrator side. Freehand gave Adobe ownership of all the dream features an artist could want. Some have been brought in to Illustrator and I applaud Adobe for that. I encourage Adobe to continue on this path. Other than that I’m extremely happy with all of the CS4 package as it looks to be another super great upgrade.
C
Cindy
Sep 24, 2008
OpenGL 2.0

I dont know if mine has OpenGL 2.0 or not. It is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT that came with my Mac Pro.

Does anyone have a clue on the release date? I know, you will know when everyone knows. 🙂
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 24, 2008
Adobe (finally!) taking real advantage of GPUs introduces another parameter for us to discuss as regards CS4 performance. The 7300GT is a relatively lame card in today’s GPU world. Far more powerful cards are available in the $200 price range.

After production versions of CS4 have been on the street for a few weeks we will see real-world test results from the folks at barefeats.com and others that will help us all decide which cards are most cost effective.
C
Cindy
Sep 24, 2008
The 7300GT is a relatively lame card in today’s GPU world.

It wouldn’t be normal if I didn’t have something "lame" on my machine at any given time. Why change that now? 🙂
JG
Jim_Goshorn
Sep 24, 2008
Allen, I have a 7800GT card on my G5 Quad. Do you know how lame that one is (at least it seems to meet the specs)?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 24, 2008
It wouldn’t be normal if I didn’t have something "lame" on my machine at any given time.

The only thing lame on my computers is PEBKAC.

[Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair…]
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 24, 2008
I have a 7800GT card on my G5 Quad. Do you know how lame that one is (at least it seems to meet the specs)?

Like I said earlier, after production versions of CS4 have been on the street for a few weeks we will see real-world test results from the folks at barefeats.com and others that will help us all decide which cards are most cost effective.
C
Cindy
Sep 24, 2008
Doesn’t PS usually ship within 30 days of being announced?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Customarily — but Adobe never commit themselves.
MB
Martin_Bergstrom
Sep 24, 2008
CS3 in my (Macbook Pro and Mac Pro, 10.4.11, no network volumes) experience has been >as solid as an app can be; CS4 could not be more solid than that. Operations under 10.5.x >and network volumes might be another issue. I would look to system setup/maintenance, >installed extraneous low end apps, network operation and OS 10.5 for causes for crashes, >because frequent crashes are not inherent to CS3 per se.

I don’t mean it’s crashing frequently, but still more often than it should.

Thanks for the info! Our stability issues might be because of working over the network quite often, i.e. storing the on a network volume and open/saving to that. I know it’s not supported, but we have to work this way. But as you say, your not on Leopard. At the same time I know there were crashes on Tiger too.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 24, 2008
Allen,

Personally if I had a G5 (I skipped that Mac generation) I probably would not invest in retrofitting it, except maybe RAM. I would put the money toward saving for a MacIntel upgrade.

Maybe not. I bought my G5 Dual 1.8 Ghz new/in box from a client for $1000 after new models replaced it. I replaced the original 80 GB drive with a pair of 250 GB Maxtors; the original Pioneer CD/DVD with a new Pioneer that added DVD-DL capability; replaced the old video card with a more capable ATI Radeon; and added 2 GB RAM. And upgraded the OS to Tiger. So, for my needs, with about $600 in upgrades, I’ve had a decent, very reliable tower.

Now I’m waiting for reports on how the new Creative Suite and Leopard play together so I can finally retire this hardware.

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 24, 2008
Neil-

I meant I would not invest in retrofitting a G5 today. That was not meant to imply that past retrofits were inappropriate.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 24, 2008
Allen,

Thanks for the clarification! I wasn’t sure about your timeframe.

<pssst!> Maybe I can make you an offer on a nice G5! Actually, would you believe that my client (Windows-based) is asking me when I’m gonna upgrade? He wants to buy back the computer I bought from him because he finds Macs just do some things better. <lol>

Neil
C
Cindy
Sep 25, 2008
How many of you are pre-ordering CS4?
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 25, 2008
The advantage of preordering any of the Creative Suite now is that you’ll be closer to the top of the list and earlier delivery.

The disadvantage of preordering any of the Creative Suite now is that you’ll be closer to the top of the list and earlier delivery.

Early adopters bear the greatest risk of being bitten by uncaught bugs in the new software. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. Just be aware of possible early issues. But, you should be able to keep CS3 on your system as a fallback and as you learn and explore the new software.

Also important, and depending upon which apps you are interested in, check the system requirements carefully. And be sure that your current computer can do better than squeak by.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 25, 2008
The advantage of preordering any of the Creative Suite now is that you’ll be closer to the top of the list and earlier delivery.

The disadvantage of preordering any of the Creative Suite now is that you’ll be closer to the top of the list and earlier delivery.

Early adopters bear the greatest risk of being bitten by uncaught bugs in the new software. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. Just be aware of possible early issues. But, you should be able to keep CS3 on your system as a fallback and as you learn and explore the new software.

Also important, check the system requirements carefully for each Creative Suite app you’re interested in. And be sure that your current computer can do better than just squeak by.

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 25, 2008

At the upgrade prices, not a chance. I will wait until the new version is fully vetted by those folks who feel a need to be first.
R
Ram
Sep 25, 2008
* Somewhere in all those videos and web pages, I saw November 7 as the shipping date. How reliable that is, I can’t tell.

* Anyone interested in whether a given card is enough to power CS4 on a G4, look up the tech specs for that card and see if it supports Shader 3 (or Shader level 3).

* Anyone disgusted with an aging but fully functional G5 that they’d be willing to sell at a really (well, reasonably) cheap price, drop me an email. 😉
R
Ram
Sep 25, 2008
Re:

Allen Wicks – 5:47pm Sep 24, 08 PST (#40 of 41)

At the upgrade prices, not a chance. I will wait until the new version is fully vetted by those folks who feel a need to be first.

Given the severity of the bugs that were never fixed in CS3, Allen’s attitude is fully wareranted.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 25, 2008
From what I have seen so far of CS4, I don’t think that you have much to worry about.

This is NOT your old CS3!

Just one thing to think about though, if you don’t mind waiting a couple of weeks after CS4 ships, you can usually buy Adobe software from Amazon.com for less than from the Adobe Store.
R
Ram
Sep 25, 2008
Thank you, Ann.

if you don’t mind waiting a couple of weeks after CS4 ships

Oh, I’ll be waiting much longer than that. This time around I fully plan to use the trial version for the full 30 days first. Since they don’t even post it until a few months after the application starts actually shipping, this will put me well into next Spring. 🙂

you can usually buy Adobe software from Amazon.com for less than from the Adobe Store.

Hehehehe… This time the difference is just $1, but Amazon.com gives me free shipping and does not collect sales tax from me, so that’s about another $30 in savings. 😀

Thank goodness CS4 runs in Tiger, otherwise I wouldn’t even be looking into it. I’m not touching Leopard or a MacIntel.
BT
Bojin_Taylor
Sep 25, 2008
I am surprised no you has mentioned the "red headed step child" treatment Mac users get with this new "Upgrade". The lame 3 GB limit is being lifted for PC users and not for Mac users. The 3 GB limit is a wall that should have been addressed in CS3 if not CS. Now that Adobe has come out and shown the Mac users it lacks respect for us, the most creative people in the world! Why Buy?
As a parent (Adobe) has chosen one child over another and has the nerve to ask us to spend $350.00 on a product that wasn’t developed for us. This is something I would expect our government to pull, not Adobe.
JJ
Jim_Jorden
Sep 25, 2008
It is no surprise (especially since this has been discussed on the forum before). One child makes more money than the other. One child is not as much of developer’s moving target as the other.
BT
Bojin_Taylor
Sep 25, 2008
Do you think it is that hard to make the program function the same on both systems? Like spending an extra hour writing some code to bring us all into the game is beyond the scope of Adobe. And charging $350. bucks for an upgrade that isn’t created for Mac Users is lame. SHAME SHAME SHAME!
I call on all Mac users to Boycott Adobe! Civil Disobedience!
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 25, 2008
Yes. I think so. PS for Mac needs to be rewritten in a new development environment. This is much more than an extra hour’s worth of work.

You always have Boot Camp and you always have the right to control your wallet. As fewer people buy PS for Mac in a proposed boycott, Adobe will have less desire to pour resources into it.
B
Buko
Sep 25, 2008
I call on all Mac users to Boycott Adobe!

You go right ahead and boycott.

Personally I find the added features and the integration of the applications in Design Suite is far more important that 64 bit Photoshop.
BT
Bojin_Taylor
Sep 25, 2008
It just seems to be an enormous slight to the most creative people in the world (Mac Users). This was obviously designed from the ground up and purposely designed to alienate the Mac User.
As for Boot Camp, will that idea work? I have had problems with my Vista program in Bootcamp I can’t imaging adding a 64 bit program to it would make it better.
As for the added features I haven’t seen or heard of anything that is as big of a leap as CS3 was to CS2. And I think I remember my upgrade to CS3 was $167.00.
I appreciate your insight Jim, and I am just ranting. This 3 GB wall has been frustrating to me for years.
My Photoshop files are beyond the size of saving them on a DVD. And Blue Ray wasn’t an option when I bought my MacPro Desktop. And After Effects needs as much Ram as I can get into it to be effective.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 25, 2008
This was obviously designed from the ground up and purposely designed to alienate the Mac User.

If you read up on the topic, you will see that the problem was designed by Apple jumping around with development environments. So you’ll need to be blaming Apple as much as, if not more than, Adobe. If we want the innovation of Apple, we need to bear the growing pains (motorola/ibm/intel & classic/OSX & carbon/cocoa).
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 25, 2008
Re: boycotting Adobe.

Instead of posting with your emotions out front, please understand the background on Adobe’s decision to hold off on 64-bit processing for Macs. See: <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9909725-39.html>

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 25, 2008
Have you spoken with John? Or are we going to continue your game?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 25, 2008
Seriously, stop the games.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 25, 2008

[topic edited for content and closed]
DC
David_C_Parsons
Oct 14, 2008
This supposed to be ready to download today and so far, nothing. Adobe seems to be silent on it. Can anyone elaborate?
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 14, 2008
This supposed to be ready to download today

According to whom? I’ve seen no such announcement from Adobe.

Bob
RM
Rob_Miller
Oct 14, 2008
Although it doesn’t make the 14th the official date, the receipt I got for my download pre-order said it was "estimated" to be available on October 14th.
GB
Greg_Banks
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, I was hoping to download the Master Collection today, since the date is by coincidence my birthday.
CH
CR_Henderson
Oct 14, 2008
Greg Banks:since the date is by coincidence my birthday

Happy Birthday, Greg!

My CS4 pre-order also says Oct 14 (today).

With CS3 my pre-order ‘estimated’ date came and went w/o any word from Adobe. I forget the specifics but the ‘estimated’ date changed to one later a day or so after the original estimated date passed. The new date was a week or so later.

I’m hopeful but not holding my breath.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 14, 2008
happy birthday! 🙂
JH
John-Pierre_Hannam
Oct 15, 2008
The product descriptions for the suites are showing "Now Available"
PD
Patrick_D_Masters
Oct 15, 2008
Happy Birthday. Available for download now from the Adobe Store!
CF
chris_farrell
Oct 15, 2008
So…..Fellas – Is it as good as the hype. Mine is arriving in the next few days as I couldn’t use the download option (had to call them to order)

How about in Vista x64 with loads of Ram?
BC
Bart_Cross
Oct 15, 2008
I’m getting the disk, so I will have to wait, but patience is a Canadian thing.

Just got another Conservative gov’t, wish it was a majority.
E
ElliR
Oct 15, 2008
I’m personally going to hang on a while until the first update. Who knows, by that time I might even get to take delivery of a DVD that is complete and Adobe will hopefully by then have gotten their house in some semblance of order. The final straw for me was reading the blogg from Tom Hogarty that advised buyers that CS4 would be shipping with ACR 5.0 which would NOT include the newest camera support that is already contained in the latest update for CS3 i.e. ACR 4.6 and that buyers would have to wait until next week for a 5.1 update. I suppose in their urgency to reap in the dollars waiting a week longer before releasing CS4 so that it WOULD at least contain the newer camera support that it’s predecessor has would have been asking too much.
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
Just a workflow observation.

On my Workstation (8gb, 2 dual-core processors, Vista 64-bit) I loaded last weekends wedding. Only thing running in the background is Photoshop with just one test image to learn the new program on.
I fired up the Bridge, the way it downloaded, no changes, and loaded up the wedding folder. There are 5427 images from the entire day over 3 cameras (Mark III, 5D, Mark II) Total size is 64.4 gb.
For adobe to load up the thumbs, sort and finish it’s extractions and wheel-turning, it has so far taken over 50 minutes and we aren’t finished…. The preview extractions are still counting down with somewhere around 2000 images to go, at a rate of 2/second.

I’m no math wiz or PS guru, but when it’s done thinking, I’ll repost the time.

If there is a better way to help the Bridge think, please enlighten me?

I have a trial version of PM that is lightning-fast responsive. I was just hoping the new Bridge would be efficient for filtering the weddings down quickly. CS3 crashed so much that I was forced to get PM last week.
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
and no, that’s not a plug for PM. Believe me, i WANT Adobe to be the only program. I can’t stand having to float between programs just to do my job.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 15, 2008
To get the whole lot rendered in Bridge quickly, switch to "Quick Thumbnails" in Bridge preferences.

You could also try Software Rendering and no High-quality Previews in Preferences.
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
took over 70 minutes to finish the load.
I opened up the same folder in PM and I’m filtering images in less than 3 minutes…
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
It’s like revisiting Bridge CS3 all over again. turn off the high quality, toggle this on and off. hold down the ctrl key… why can’t it just load them up quickly. If this workstation isn’t good enough, what is?
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
i’ve turned on software rending, monitor sized previews, increased cache size to max 500,000 and RAW to 5 gb, purged the cache and loaded the exact same folder.

I’m still almost 20 minutes in with 4000 preview extractions to go.

Is there a way to get Bridge to just see the embedded JPG like PM does, or was that feature not included?
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
this 2nd render took just over 60 minutes.
DE
dan_elliott
Oct 15, 2008
found a way.
just to the left of the Sort options on the upper right of the screen, under the workspace quick links.
It allows you to browse quickly just using the embedded jpegs
GB
Greg_Banks
Oct 15, 2008
Thanks for all the birthday wishes, everybody!

My order didn’t process until after midnight, so I haven’t done the download yet. Hope to do it later this afternoon, after getting some work done. Since I finally splurged and got the full Master Collection, I’m anxious to get it installed so I can try out all the new goodies.
S
sherifoote
Dec 7, 2008
My husband has CS4 extended and is having a problem when working on several photos at once. When he switches from one to another, it looks like it closes the previous picture and all you can see is an info bar — inserted into the top of the picture he’s now working on. How can you make CS4 keep ALL of the photos you’re working on open and in view?

Thanks,

Mountaingirl53
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 8, 2008
Are you referring to the new tab interface in CS4? To get rid of the tabs use Windows>Arrange>Float All in Windows. There is also an Arrange Documents icon on the menu bar. Click and explore.

In Edit>Preferences>Interface you can uncheck the ‘Open Documents as Tabs’ box.
S
sherifoote
Dec 8, 2008
Wolf:

Thank you so much!!! That fixed the problem. Don’t like those tabs at ALL!!! You need to be able to SEE what you have open!

Thanks again,
Mountaingirl53
H
hans28
Dec 8, 2008
On my computer with CS4 Extended: This Arrange Documents icon on the menu bar doesn’t show all possibilities anymore from one moment to the other….

schreef in bericht
Are you referring to the new tab interface in CS4? To get rid of the tabs use Windows>Arrange>Float All in Windows. There is also an Arrange Documents icon on the menu bar.
S
Swalston
Jan 1, 2009
I need a code for cs4 full version if anyone can help please.
RR
ricardo_rojas
Feb 2, 2009
well i dont know wats wrong i already downlad it 3 times and it still after the downlod it dont want to finish or totally doesnt want to open the set up file.. it says

"the application can not continue until the following applications are closed… "adove media player.exe"

but i closed all the windows i had open and still doing the same, then i unstalled the adobe media player and it still says the same thing…

what do i have to do????????
M
Mylenium
Feb 2, 2009
Uninstall Adobe AIR. This issue is caused by AIR runtime 1.0 if it didn’t update correctly. Any components associated with it, including AMP will prevent an install.

Mylenium

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections