ML
Posted By
mike_librik
Apr 24, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I try to do "Save for Web" I get an error message saying "could not complete the Export command because of a program error."

I’ve tried restarting Photoshop 6, but that does no good. I have not tried restarting the computer.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I changed my CYMK color settings recently to submit something to the newspaper, but I don’t see how that would mess with RGB stuff for the web.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Apr 24, 2008
Trash Preferences. Update to 6.0.1.
ML
mike_librik
Apr 25, 2008
Thanks for the advice.

I updated to 6.0.1 and did "Reset all tools" under the general preferences (this was the closest I could think of to "trash preferences").

However the problem persists. I reckon I could try re-installing unless any other solutions seem obvious.
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 25, 2008
this was the closest I could think of to "trash preferences

Check the FAQ folder for something closer.
ML
mike_librik
Apr 25, 2008
OK, I did the Control-Alt-Shift trick when starting PS and I trashed those preferences, but it still doesn’t work. I tried holding down control & alt while doing file -> Save for Web, but I got the same error message. Still no dice.

Should I just re-install this, or are there any other tricks I can try?
P
Phosphor
Apr 25, 2008
Try finding the Save for Web Preferences and trash them. I don’t remember where they are in 6, probably in a separate folder in Settings. Something like: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Adobe\Save For Web\6.0.1

Reinstalling seldom fixes anything.
ML
mike_librik
Apr 26, 2008
OK, I went looking for the Save for Web preferences, but without much luck. I got to here: C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\6.0\Adobe Photoshop 6 Settings
but found nothing specific to Save for Web. This folder has things like brushes, color settings, swatches, etc.

It did have a file called Adobe Photoshop 6 Preferences which I looked at using Notepad and found a couple of things mentioning Save for Web, but there was no separate file for Save for Web.

I’m curious why re-installing won’t help. I realize that un-installing does not usually remove everything, but whatever is causing this problem could be taken out manually and re-written by a new install. You can see I’m starting to consider the nuclear option here. I’ve got work to do and this is holding things up.
P
Phosphor
Apr 26, 2008
Go ahead and try it, but when you reinstall, the "new" version still uses the left over "old" Preferences file.

Worth a shot though. Save your custom Presets somewhere first.
ML
mike_librik
Apr 26, 2008
OK, one last question… Should I just delete the entire folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop ???

Would that nuke the troublesome preferences file, or might they be lurking in some other creative place?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections