J
Posted By
jgb1
Apr 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello I’m trying to follow this tutorial but I’m stuck on the third or so step.

<http://www.adobetutorialz.com/articles/65/1/Graffiti-Text>

Whenever I try to fill the letters with the gradient tool, it just fills the entire screen and not the letters specifically.

In the tutorial it looks like the letters are actually selected with a dotted line around them but I can’t for the life of me figure out how this is done.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

G
GinalasJohn
Apr 23, 2008
Hello
You need to select the letters
i guess you can easily do this if you just select the layer of th text

for this:
1.you need to find layers pallete, go to menu chose "windows" and then layers.
2.and in layers pallete (normally lowere right corner), whyle you hold down control button (ctrl) on yuor keyboard click on the icon of the layer you want to select (thats for windows, i dont know for mac)

if you done this properly you will see a doted line going around the text

I hope you make it

good luck

On 24 Απρ, 01:40, wrote:
Hello I’m trying to follow this tutorial but I’m stuck on the third or so step.
 <http://www.adobetutorialz.com/articles/65/1/Graffiti-Text>
Whenever I try to fill the letters with the gradient tool, it just fills the entire screen and not the letters specifically.

In the tutorial it looks like the letters are actually selected with a dotted line around them but I can’t for the life of me figure out how this is done.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
P
Phosphor
Apr 24, 2008
This is how (from the tutorial)… "Ctrl/Cmd click on the layer to select it."

By the way, that is kind of a crappy tutorial. There are better ways to do this. Look up Clipping Mask.
D
DGWaters
Apr 24, 2008
letters are actually selected with a dotted line around them

This can be done by selecting the type (double click the T in the Layers palette) – then Layer > Type > Create Work Path.

Then from the Paths palette click on the little icon at bottom that converts a path into a selection.
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 24, 2008
DG:

Tute has text rasterized as first step. Hence Ed’s dig.

J
D
DGWaters
Apr 24, 2008
Ah…
P
Phosphor
Apr 24, 2008
None of that is necessary. Make text. Make a new layer above. Fill that layer with gradient. Alt-click on the line between Layers to make Clipping Mask. That’s all you need to do.

Now the text is fully editable (you can change the font, the wording, warp it, etc.). The gradient can also be manipulated independently of the text. Everything van be resized or repositioned non-destructively and independently.

If an outline stroke is desired to it as a Layer Style and that will be totally editable too.
PZ
Petra Zwinkler
May 2, 2008
Tank you..

Ed Hannigan schrieb:
None of that is necessary. Make text. Make a new layer above. Fill that layer with gradient. Alt-click on the line between Layers to make Clipping Mask. That’s all you need to do.

Now the text is fully editable (you can change the font, the wording, warp it, etc.). The gradient can also be manipulated independently of the text. Everything van be resized or repositioned non-destructively and independently.

If an outline stroke is desired to it as a Layer Style and that will be totally editable too.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections