HD
Posted By
henning dalgaard
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the best way to make a screenshot in 300dpi with photoshop from a game running in 800×600?
Do I set up the canvas for 300dpi before I paste or do I paste in a default 72dpi canvas and then change to 300dpi. The two methods seems to give different results

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
JJS
May 13, 2004
"henning dalgaard" wrote in message
What is the best way to make a screenshot in 300dpi with photoshop from a game running in 800×600?

You can’t get any better ‘resolution’ of a screen shot than your monitor offers, which is likely 96 (120 with some snazy hardware). So with that in mind, you are stuck with interpolation. Try SnagIt. They offer a free 30-day trial. You can set the output to as much as 400% the screen resolution which fools you into thinnking you have 300, but it’s still interpolated.
T
tacitr
May 13, 2004

A game running at 800×600 will give you 800 pixels by 600 pixels, period. Resolution is irrelevant; your screen shot will give you 800 pixels across by 600 pixels deep.

At 300 pixels per inch, your image will be two and two-thirds inches wide and two inches high.

Do I set up the canvas for 300dpi before I paste or do I paste in a default 72dpi canvas and then change to 300dpi. The two methods seems to give different results

They give identical results, if you have "resample image" turned OFF in the Image Size command.

"Resample image" means "change the number of pixels." You can paste at 72 pixels per inch, then resample to 300 pixels per inch, but the results will not look any better in print than if you’d left the image at 72 pixels per inch.

What is your goal? If you want to have a beautiful, pristine image at 300 pixels per inch and, say, 10 inches wide, you can’t–it’s impossible. 300 pixels per inch at 10 inches wide means 3,000 pixels wide. You are starting with something 800 pixels wide. Sorry…

Biohazard? Radiation hazard? SO last-century.
Nanohazard T-shirts now available! http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
XT
xalinai_Two
May 14, 2004
On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:57:56 +0200, "henning dalgaard" wrote:

A screen shot has a fixed number of pixels – the screen resolution.

The raster image resulting of the screen shot has no resolution at all – only the numer of pixels for width and height.

If you say your image should print at 300pixels per inch you get 800pixels/300ppi=2,67inches as the width and 2 inches for the height.

It does not matter whether you have a default setting of 72dpi or any other random number.

You either calculate pixels divided by dpi giving inches (if you know the number of pixels and the required print resolution) or you calculate pixels divided by inches giving dpi (if you know image size and desired print size).

Anything else requires a change in the number of pixels in the image which will either lose information (shrinking) or lose sharpness by inventing pixels (expanding).

Michael
-xiray-
May 14, 2004
On 13 May 2004 18:47:25 GMT, (Tacit) wrote:

A game running at 800×600 will give you 800 pixels by 600 pixels, period. Resolution is irrelevant; your screen shot will give you 800 pixels across by 600 pixels deep.

And that’s the reason that game art on the software box looks much better than the in-game graphics AND why only small pics are printed and labeled as "actual screen shot."

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections