RA
Posted By
Richard_Abbott
Apr 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Same problem – CS3 crashes. I am running Vista 32 bit with 4gb RAM.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RA
Richard_Abbott
Apr 16, 2008
I just installed Vista SP1 – CS3 does not crash any longer when selecting Edit Preferences Performance.
RD
Ron Dubin
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the tip Richard.

Installed SP1 and unfortunately, I wasn’t as fortunate as you.
RA
Richard_Abbott
Apr 16, 2008
Problem is back. Only thing I’ve done since last night is to to create a new monitor profile using Eye One Match 3 colorometer and software. I will have to investigate further.
G
garyoa1
Apr 16, 2008
I was disconcerted when I couldn’t (still can’t) upgrade Illustrator. But PS seems to get worse by the minute. Slowly deteriorating.
I can’t reset the preferences. Even deleting the psp file does nothing. Intermittant crashes, features disappearing, settings changing by themselves, taking minutes to simply open the program, minutes instead of seconds to save a file… Not fun.
Makes you wonder why one would by an adobe product vs. a hacked version. Since they’re already working on CS4, I guess we’ll have to upgrade to get rid of the bugs in CS3. Interesting marketing concept.
D
DGWaters
Apr 16, 2008
Not fun indeed. But there must be a specific problem here, otherwise we would all see this.

See post#2. Not saying that’s it, but it has worked for others.
RA
Richard_Abbott
Apr 16, 2008
Clarification and update: My problem was only that when I selected <Edit> <Preferences> <Performance>, CS3 would close with an error message stating the program had encountered an error and would close. I did not have any performance (slowing down) with CS3 at any time.

I also have a laptop running XP Pro with CS3 and the same EYE ONE software. The laptop did not exhibit this problem. I uninstalled the ASUS ATI Video Driver and reinstalled it on the Vista machine. CS3 is now working ok. Through the Color Management utility in the Vista Control Panel, I was able to select my previously created monitor profile and CS3 continues to function properly.

So for my situation, it appears that running the monitor profile software in a Vista environment with the ASUS ATI video driver causes CS3 to malfunction. Who knows why but at least I now know how to work around it. I would guess that others who are having problems with the CS3 Performance Preferences have a similar OS/Video Driver/CS3 conflict.
I
ID._Awe
Apr 16, 2008
Catalyst drivers are crap!
RD
Ron Dubin
Apr 16, 2008
Richard, as you suggested, I had a look at the video drivers. Somehow, they got reset. Switched them to what they should be and presto, no more crash. Thanks.

BTW, it might just be me but it seems the vista sp put some pep into the OS…
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 16, 2008
BTW, it might just be me but it seems the vista sp put some pep into the OS…

no. it’s been widely reported that optimization was one of the goals of the vista sp team.

to bad xp sp3 will be even faster, they were starting to gain ground! 😛 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 16, 2008
the sticking tongue out smiley wasn’t aimed at you ron, but at my vista nemeses who frequent these demesnes! 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections