Image suddenly reverted and history cleared after resuming from screensaver?

JJ
Posted By
John Joslin
Apr 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Very odd. Was it just the screen saver or did it sleep or hibernate?

I have always had a mistrust of those functions, although it is supposedly better in Vista.

Always save your work (or a copy) when you leave the computer.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Apr 14, 2008
I was working on an image and had to walk away for a bit.

That’s when you should SAVE!!! I don’t know what happened, but Saving would have prevented it.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 14, 2008
That’s when you should SAVE!!! I don’t know what happened, but Saving would have prevented it.

<nodding>
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 14, 2008
That’s three of us said it – it must be right! 😉
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 14, 2008
because <school house rock>three… is a magic number</shr>? 🙂
JC
Jessica_Chapman
Apr 14, 2008
Absolutely, I should have saved. ::smacks forehead:: If I had lost anything unrecoverable, it would have been deserved. My mantra with Windows in general has always been to save early and often… because you never know. Forgot my own advice.

I was just wondering whether anyone else had run into this behavior before. John, I think it was just screensaver, but now I’m wondering whether there isn’t something a little odd with the sleep process anyway… it’s probably just something weird going on with my computer. Lovely. You buy a new system instead of building one, you hope you don’t have to tech things. ::Sigh::

I’m going to be humming that all day at work Dave! <shr>Yes it is, it’s a magic number…</shr>

Jessica
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 14, 2008
I’m going to be humming that all day at work Dave!

we aim’s to please! XD
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 15, 2008
Jessica, look at the power management settings at the bottom of the Screen Saver tab. My (also new) computer was set to "sleep" after a set time. I told it "Never". There are many things new in Vista power management.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 15, 2008
One of the caveats of letting the computer sleep is that the video card is powered down.

When brought back to life, the monitor profile should be reloaded, but it isn’t, since that’s only done at boot.

Rob
JC
Jessica_Chapman
Apr 15, 2008
Thanks John & Rob, I bet that’s exactly what the issue was. I checked the power settings, and as you mentioned John, it was set to sleep after only 20 minutes. I reset it to ‘Never’ and hopefully that won’t happen again.

Rob, I wasn’t aware that the profile didn’t get reloaded – is there an option to change that hidden somewhere, or is that just part of the code monster that is Microsoft?

Thanks very much everyone for all your help 😀

Jessica
JT
John_T_Smith
Apr 15, 2008
For all things Microsoft, start here

< http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlan g=en-US>

You may have to play with the search terms a bit… but if there is a Microsoft document for your problem… this is the place to go to find it (a good site to bookmark!)
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 15, 2008
I find this one better!

<http://www.google.com/microsoft.html>
S
Silkrooster
Apr 15, 2008
May you always have good luck with your computer and never ever have to call HP tech support.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections