Posted By
Bishoop
Apr 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

I just did a fresh install of Photoshop CS3, and I’m seeing a crash similar to what many, many others have reported. It happens when I close the window — the application just stops responding.

I’ve spent hours reading through others’ posts and have tried lots of things. Here is what I’ve tried so far:

1) Deleted preferences file, "Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp".
2) Deleted all of the preference files (*.psp).
3) Made sure default printer is not networked or offline.
4) Updated my video card drivers.
5) Changed scratch disk setting to another drive.
6) Made sure the MS Visual Studio redistributable is installed.

None of that made any difference. It also doesn’t seem to matter what I actually do while the app is running — The crash happens whether I just open it and immediately close it, or leave it open for a long time while editing images.

Here is some system information, just in case it helps:

Windows XP, SP2 (32-bit)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
3.00 GHz, 2.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT
~100GB free disk space

Everything else is pretty standard… Single monitor, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

Pat

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

G
gowanoh
Apr 5, 2008
I presume you mean CS3 functions normally until you try to exit the program and it hangs.
For one thing there is a program called Task Killer that will shut down a frozen program much more efficiently than Windows Task Manager. If it is any consolation it is not just CS3 that sometimes does this. I have intermittently seen this happen with other programs including Roxio Easy Media Creator and Itunes.
CS3, Roxio and Itunes are incredible resource hogs. In paritcular if you have another resource hog running in the background the OS may lose track of something or have tried to store two things in one location–instant freeze. You also may have been running programs that do not release their resources even after exited–this was a reported problem with earler, not recent, versions of Word. There are utililites out there, sorrly I do not remember their names, that will search out and free up RAM and resources that should be available but are errantly excluded as still being in use. You could have a hardware problem, however. It would behoove you to run a software check of your hard drives and the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic.
B
Bishoop
Apr 8, 2008
"flaming-o" wrote:

I presume you mean CS3 functions normally until you try to exit the program and it hangs.

[…]

Success!! Sweet success! I finally found the solution. I found a discussion on the Adobe forums about a similar issue, and it turns out that the problem (in my case) is a service called
FNPLicensingService.exe. If you run just about any Adobe product, you’ll see this service in the "Processes" list when you do a ctrl-alt- del.

Once I fully killed this service, as described below, Photoshop not only stopped crashing, but even loads much faster. Strange!

One big disclaimer before I describe how to get rid of it: I don’t use any other Adobe products, besides Photoshop. Killing this service may cause other Adobe applications to stop working.

So anyway, here’s how you kill it.

1) Close absolutely all Adobe products, including Acrobat Reader
2) Go to Start -> Run and enter "services.msc"
3) Scroll down to "FLEXnet Licensing Service" and double-click it
4) If it is currently running, click "Stop"
5) Set "Startup Type" to "Disabled"
6) Click "Ok" and exit the Services window
7) Ctrl-alt-delete to bring up process list
8) If FNPLicensingService.exe is in the list, select it and click "End Process"
9) Close task manager and bring up a command prompt
10) Change to the root directory, i.e.:

cd \

11) Type the following (might take a few minutes):

dir /s/b FNP_Act_Installer.dll

12) For every file that is listed, rename the file. You obviously can just delete them, but I highly recommend just renaming them to something you’ll remember (like "FNP.crap"), because if some application stops working, you are going to want them back.

Once you’ve done all that, do a reboot for good measure, and hopefully, Photoshop CS3 will work a thousand times better. After the reboot, do a ctrl-alt-del just to be sure that FNPLicensingService.exe is not in your process list. If it is, you screwed up somewhere along the way.

I hope this helps someone who struggled as much as I did just trying to get Photoshop to work!
A
Alienjones
Apr 8, 2008
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–
Hash: SHA1

Your Name wrote:
| "flaming-o" wrote:
|
|> I presume you mean CS3 functions normally until you try to exit the |> program and it hangs.
|
| […]
|
| Success!! Sweet success! I finally found the solution. I found a | discussion on the Adobe forums about a similar issue, and it turns out | that the problem (in my case) is a service called
| FNPLicensingService.exe. If you run just about any Adobe product, | you’ll see this service in the "Processes" list when you do a ctrl-alt- | del.
|
| Once I fully killed this service, as described below, Photoshop not only | stopped crashing, but even loads much faster. Strange! |
| One big disclaimer before I describe how to get rid of it: I don’t use | any other Adobe products, besides Photoshop. Killing this service may | cause other Adobe applications to stop working.
|
| So anyway, here’s how you kill it.
|
| 1) Close absolutely all Adobe products, including Acrobat Reader | 2) Go to Start -> Run and enter "services.msc" | 3) Scroll down to "FLEXnet Licensing Service" and double-click it | 4) If it is currently running, click "Stop"
| 5) Set "Startup Type" to "Disabled" | 6) Click "Ok" and exit the Services window
| 7) Ctrl-alt-delete to bring up process list
| 8) If FNPLicensingService.exe is in the list, select it and click "End | Process"
| 9) Close task manager and bring up a command prompt
| 10) Change to the root directory, i.e.:
|
| cd \
|
| 11) Type the following (might take a few minutes):
|
| dir /s/b FNP_Act_Installer.dll
|
| 12) For every file that is listed, rename the file. You obviously can | just delete them, but I highly recommend just renaming them to something | you’ll remember (like "FNP.crap"), because if some application stops | working, you are going to want them back.
|
| Once you’ve done all that, do a reboot for good measure, and hopefully, | Photoshop CS3 will work a thousand times better. After the reboot, do a | ctrl-alt-del just to be sure that FNPLicensingService.exe is not in your | process list. If it is, you screwed up somewhere along the way. |
| I hope this helps someone who struggled as much as I did just trying to | get Photoshop to work!

"You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the product or reinstall it. Contact Adobe or your system administrator for support."

Next suggestion?

– —

from Douglas,
If my PGP key is missing, the
post is a forgery. Ignore it.
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFH+x2Ghuxzk5D6V14RAr1HAJ9LYevE2HQXp9gXSXeiXHqwdME9uACg k/hQ xPvLV33YUMNFExkCEgCqi/E=
=w/8K
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections