LT
Posted By
Lamar Thomas
Mar 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just wondering of there is a way to set the crop tool so that it is confined to a fixed ratio with CS3. I know it can be done w/ the rectangular select tool, but the resultant selection is not easy to adjust like it is with the crop tool. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

I
Imageman
Mar 26, 2008
John – Open an image file, select the crop tool, in the crop tool menu bar, enter the height and width dimensions of your choice. When you want to use the crop tool without set dimensions, press the ‘clear’ button – IM

"John" wrote in message
Just wondering of there is a way to set the crop tool so that it is confined to a fixed ratio with CS3. I know it can be done w/ the rectangular select tool, but the resultant selection is not easy to adjust like it is with the crop tool. Thanks.
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Mar 26, 2008
" but the resultant selection is not easy to adjust like it is with the
crop tool."

In what way is it not easy?
You can’t get the Crop tool to behave like the RM tool because it only works with units such as pixels, inches or cms, not ratios.
TWK
LT
Lamar Thomas
Mar 26, 2008
Ok. That’s basically what I was asking. I’d like to be able to drag & resize the marquee like you can w/ the crop tool but maintain the aspect ratio like you can with the RM tool. I guess the answer is to use the RM tool and then the Transform Selection dialog to fine tune it. I never know the exact pixel dimensions until I frame it up but in order to crop for prints I do have to know that it will fit the print’s size ratio.

Thanks

"Toobi-Won Kenobi" <Toobi-won > wrote in message
crop tool."

You can’t get the Crop tool to behave like the RM tool because it only works with units such as pixels, inches or cms, not ratios. TWK
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Mar 26, 2008
"John" wrote in message
Ok. That’s basically what I was asking. I’d like to be able to drag & resize the marquee like you can w/ the crop tool but maintain the aspect ratio like you can with the RM tool. I guess the answer is to use the RM tool and then the Transform Selection dialog to fine tune it. I never know the exact pixel dimensions until I frame it up but in order to crop for prints I do have to know that it will fit the print’s size ratio.
Thanks
That’s the way I use it.
RM tool set to ratio.
Then Image>Crop.
Then Ctrl+T to transform, if required.
TWK
crop tool."

You can’t get the Crop tool to behave like the RM tool because it only works with units such as pixels, inches or cms, not ratios. TWK

LT
Lamar Thomas
Mar 27, 2008
I wouldn’t do that but I would use RM, then Select > Transform Selection (to modify the selction while keeping the ratio locked) then Image > Crop.

That’s the way I use it.
RM tool set to ratio.
Then Image>Crop.
Then Ctrl+T to transform, if required.
TWK
TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Mar 27, 2008
"John" wrote in message
I wouldn’t do that but I would use RM, then Select > Transform Selection (to modify the selction while keeping the ratio locked) then Image > Crop.
In PS there is always more than one way to excoriate a feline. TWK

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections