DL
Posted By
david_lightbown
Mar 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When using the Filter Window, we would like to see the other layers at the same time. At the moment, we only see the active layer on a transparency checker background.

Is this possible ?

We are using CS2.

Thanks !

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Mar 18, 2008
I don’t think so, but why? A filter will only apply to one layer anyway.

You could merge them and look at the filter preview, apply it and go back in History and reapply it to the pertinent layer. Easier than it sounds.
DL
david_lightbown
Mar 18, 2008
" I don’t think so, but why? A filter will only apply to one layer anyway."

Thanks for your reply, Ed !

We want to see how the filter looks on top of the rest of the image while we are adjusting the settings.

What do you do if you have to synchronize the settings of a filter to another layer underneath ?

Also, if we merge the layers, won’t the effect be applied to all of the layers combined ? We don’t want to do that.
P
Phosphor
Mar 18, 2008
It would, but you can make a selection. The preview will show the whole layer with the filter applied to the selection. And I’d apply it to make sure, as I said.

Sorry, but I think that’s as good as you’re going to get unless they change it in future versions.
DL
david_lightbown
Mar 18, 2008
No one else has identified this issue before ?

If not, I will be very surprised !

How can you tweak the values of a filter completely out of context ?
P
Phosphor
Mar 18, 2008
As I indicated, you can do it in context by making a selection.
DL
david_lightbown
Mar 18, 2008
Thanks Ed !

Making a selection will not have the same effect, especially if you do something that changes the silhouette of an object…

for example, if you do a render clouds, then create a sphere on top and apply "ripple" to that, it’s not going to reveal the render clouds underneath as it ripples away…

unless you know something I don’t ?
DL
david_lightbown
Mar 20, 2008
Bump…

anyone know the answer to this one ?
P
Phosphor
Mar 20, 2008
I don’t think there is an answer per se. You have identified the limitations. The workaround I suggested don’t help, so all I can suggest is that you apply the filters and then go back if they don’t do what you want.

Not great, but I doubt there’s anything better.
DL
david_lightbown
Mar 20, 2008
Hi Ed,

thanks for your quick reply !

We used to be able to do this in previous versions of Photoshop, and I don’t see the Filter Window and stacking filters to be a useful enough feature to justify not being able to see the effects on top of all the other layers.

To add to that, opening the Filter Window is slow.

Is there a place where we can make feature requests to Adobe ? Just a simple checkbox for "View all other layers" in the Filter Window…
P
Phosphor
Mar 20, 2008
Feature request here:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.eeadf6e/>

I don’t have anything earlier than 7 on my computer right now, but I certainly don’t remember ever being able to do that in previous versions, going back to 4.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections