JD
Posted By
Jason Drabek
Mar 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What’s the easiest way to draw a circle under Photoshop CS2?

I just tried it using the elipse tool but that makes a filled round shape. I’m just trying to circle something in a picture. Used to be able to do it really easy in Photoshop 7.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Mar 14, 2008
"I just tried it using the elipse tool but that makes a filled round shape."

That means you’re using the Custom Shape Ellipse Tool, and the "Shape Layer" or "Fill Pixels" option is selected on the left side of the Options Bar. Make sure to choose "Shape Layer" for maximum editablity.

Drag out your circle. Then, in your Layers Palette, crank the "Fill" setting down to 0% (leave Opacity at 100%), and stroke using a Layer Style.

That’s one way…there are others.
JD
Jason Drabek
Mar 14, 2008
DH
Dennis_Hallinan
Mar 16, 2008
This may be even easier:

Use Elliptical Marquee Tool

Hold down Shift and Alt keys

Draw circle

Stroke (under EDIT)

Dennis Hallinan
P
Phosphor
Mar 16, 2008
Easier, maybe. But not editable.
DH
Dennis_Hallinan
Mar 16, 2008
Although "editable" wasn’t requested, it is easy enough to create a circle any size, shape or thickness of line using the Elliptical Marquee Tool.

If further editing is needed, select the circle and edit via transform.

Dennis Hallinan
P
Phosphor
Mar 16, 2008
"If further editing is needed, select the circle and edit via transform."

I’m not gonna have a pissing match with you, Dennis, becuase we’re both right, if all one wants to do is create a quick, stroked circle.

But I happen to think that having the capability to edit without the pixel-destructivness of transforming a pixels-only shape is the smarter option.

I have a Layer Style saved with a simple black stroke and 0% opacity fill so I can crank out any number of editable shapes more easily than stroking different marquee selections.

🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections