Does CS3 Extended have a custom install option?

B
Posted By
BJBBJB
Feb 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I really did search on this. All I found elsewhere was a very complicated custom batch file tweak-install. Does this mean that this program can only install everything that comes with it? I am considering an upgrade but do not want to install each and every sub-product that comes with extended.

I saw someone that was firm that it did not have the options. I read somewhere else that it does.

Thanks,

BJBBJB

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John_Joslin
Feb 21, 2008
Without user intervention such as you describe the application is installed complete. No user choice is offered at any stage: neither for module options, nor for simple things like file associations.

The current Adobe installer is one of the worst pieces of carp (along with the updater) that I have ever seen.

It’s not a case of "What you see is what you get", it’s a case of "You get what we say".
B
BJBBJB
Feb 21, 2008
John,
Wow…I thought it was just user confusion.

Well I guess a follow-up question would be if you just want to use the CS3-type features and it installs all that other stuff (I am moving from PSE), does it clutter up the interface or functionality because it assumes you are using it all? Or does it just take up disk space which I have no concerns about at all.

And even file associations? Yikes. I know a certain other company that gets into big trouble if they just take over ownership of file types.

Thank you very much for this.

BJBBJB
JJ
John_Joslin
Feb 21, 2008
You can modify the menus to suit your own needs and save it as a custom configuration. I have hidden quite a few functions I never use and highlighted a few items in colour to find them even faster. There several presets:

<http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7613/menusrj6.jpg>
BD
Brett_Dalton
Feb 22, 2008
You thin kthe PC installer is a pain, try the Mac one on a Power PC. It kept installing intel only parts of the production suite even after I asked it not to…..

BRETT
H
hvymtl
Mar 21, 2008
wrote:
I really did search on this. All I found elsewhere was a very complicated custom batch file tweak-install. Does this mean that this program can only install everything that comes with it? I am considering an upgrade but do not want to install each and every sub-product that comes with extended.
I saw someone that was firm that it did not have the options. I read somewhere else that it does.

Thanks,

My CS3 MC has the option
BJBBJB

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections