I’d be grateful for some cookbook instructions for editing/sizing/saving photos for publication

E
Posted By
elbarcolutra
May 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a novice (well, actually a beginner) in Photoshop (have access to
7.0), but need to submit some photomicrographs of blood cells for a
scientific publication, and I’d like to make them look as good as I can, and I’m pretty educable. I am also out of time (past the deadline), and can’t spend the time I’d normally spend to learn how to do what I want to do, so I’m asking for help!

This is what I’ve done so far: I have several photographs of blood cells. photographed all the blood cells at the same magnification (100x oil) using the same lighting conditions; they are currently saved as jpgs. They look best when I open them and modify them using the AutoColor function—then they look more like what I saw under the microscope. I need to have pictures that are 19 picas wide (or 80 mm). I am interested in showing only a small area of each photomicrograph, so I want to crop the images that I have, and keep them all exactly the same size when I’m done (and thus the magnification will be equal across all pictures). I don’t need to know the actual magnification on the page compared to the original slide. The color images need to be submitted in CMYK format (which I figured out how to do on the Photoshop menu). In addition, some other images need to be saved as black and white.

Assuming I don’t do a lot of touchup (just autocolor), it seems that I could do this as a cookbook exercise, if I only knew how to do it (do I guesstimate the millimeters using the tool bars? Once I crop an area, how do I save it? Do I crop, then autocolor, then change to CMYK? Another order? How do I do this????)

If anyone is willing to write me cookbook directions, I’d really appreciate it!

Thanks
EBL

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

T
tacitr
May 9, 2004
This is what I’ve done so far: I have several photographs of blood cells. photographed all the blood cells at the same magnification (100x oil) using the same lighting conditions; they are currently saved as jpgs.

You’ve already started down the wrong path. JPEG uses "lossy" compression; that means it deliberately degrades the image in order to save space on disk. JPEG is only appropriate for situations where file size on disk is important and image quality is not important. It is not generally appropriate for images destined for professional printing.

I need to have pictures that are 19 picas wide (or 80
mm). I am interested in showing only a small area of each photomicrograph, so I want to crop the images that I have, and keep them all exactly the same size when I’m done (and thus the magnification will be equal across all pictures).

What size are they now? What resolution are they now?

You can crop the image using the crop tool or marquee tool, then use the Image Size command (with the "Resample Image" checkbox turned OFF) to make the images 80mm wide. However, depending on how the image was originally created, this may produce an image that is too low in resolution. It should be at least 300 pixels per inch *at the final size.*

You can turn on "Resample Image" in the Image Size dialog and make the resolution be 300 pixels per inch, but you can never create detail that is not present in the original by doing this; the results will not be better. You need to CREATE the image with enough resolution in the first place!

The color images need to be submitted in CMYK format (which I figured out how to do on the Photoshop menu).

HOW are you converting to CMYK? What kind of paper will the images be printed on? This is important stuff! You can’t blindly go Image->Mode->CMYK and end up with something that will be printable on any kind of paper and press.

For best results, you MUST use File->Color Settings->CMYK Setup, and use the CMYK Setup dialog box to specify the separation parameters for your press and paper, EVERY time you create a CMYK separation.

Also, many colors in RGB can not be reproduced in CMYK. CMYK has a different range of colors, or "gamut," than RGB.

If your image contains out-of-gamut colors, these colors will be converted to their nearest approximation in CMYK. The result will be a color which is less saturated and somewhat flatter.

Often, a little bit of color tweaking is necessary in the CMYK image. After separating an RGB image to CMYK, you may wish to use the Curves command (Image->Adjust->Curves) to increase contrast in the midtones slightly, as the separation often becomes flatter in the midtones.

Specific colors can be tweaked with Image->Adjust->Selective Color. For example, if your blues have yellow in them, you can remove yellow from blues to make them more saturated and richer.

When you color corrrect the image, you should, of course, have your Info palette open. Look at the numbers in the out-of-gamut colors; see if your primary colors have any contaminating color that can be reduced to increase saturation. For example, yellow in your blues or cyan in your reds can be reduced, if present, to make the colors richer.

Vivid RGB blues often separate with too much magenta, making the colors appear more purple than blue. Using Selective Color to reduce magenta in blues will often solve this problem.

The range and depth of color you can expect to get depends on the settings in your CMYK setup, which themselves depend on the kind of paper and press you are going to be printing on.

As for setting up your CMYK separation:

If you just go Image->Mode->CMYK without changing the values in your CMYK setup, the result will look okay on most sheetfed presses and coated (glossy) color stocks, but will not be acceptable for, say, newspaper printing.

For best results, you should talk to your printer about what to do. Most importantly, make sure he gives you the values he needs for maximum ink and maximum black percentages; if you exceed these values, the image may smear on press.

As starter points:

For sheetfed presses printing on high-quality coated paper, you can usually use GCR, 100% black ink limit, 300% total ink limit, Light or Medium black generation.

For very high quality lithographic output, your total ink limit can go as high as 310%.

For web-fed presses on glossy paper, or sheetfed presses using high-quality uncoated paper at a 110-line halftone or above, use GCR, 100% black ink limit, 280% total ink limit, Light or Medium black generation.

Newsprint is a different story entirely. For newsprint, appropriate settings might be UCR, 240% to 260% total ink limit, 85% black ink limit. When you convert the image to CMYK, it will look washed-out and flat, but newsprint darkens *considerably* on press so this reduction in density is necessary.

Assuming I don’t do a lot of touchup (just autocolor), it seems that I could do this as a cookbook exercise, if I only knew how to do it (do I guesstimate the millimeters using the tool bars?

You crop whatever area you want, with no regard for size. Then you use Image Size with Resample Image OFF to make the image exactly 80MM wide.

Once I crop an
area, how do I save it?

File->Save As. For print, do not use JPEG. Use TIFF.

Do I crop, then autocolor, then change to
CMYK? Another order?

Generally speaking, you do coarse color correction on the original, convert to CMYK, do final color correction there, crop, unsharp mask, and save for print. Unsharp masking is used to sharpen the image; any image destined for press will benefit from sharpening using Unsharp Mask.

Unsharp masking is part art, part science. There is no set way to use it which works for all images.

Generally speaking, however:

The Unsharp Mask filter works by exaggerating areas of high contrast–ie, edges. This gives the appearance of sharper edges, and increases the apparent overall sharpness of the image. While it can’t make a blurred or out-of-focus image sharp (nothing can do this), it can dramatically increase the perception of sharpness. And unsharp masking is a requirement to get good-looking images in print.

The Amount slider dictates how much edges are increased in contrast. If the value in this slider is too high, the image will appear to have "halos" around the edges.

The Radius slider determines how wide the area of enhanced contrast is around edges. In general, the amount you put in the Radius field depends on the resolution of the image; the higher the resolution in pixels per inch, the wider the Radius.

A good place to start is (image resolution/200). If the image is screen resolution–100 pixels per inch or less–try a Radius of 1. Increasin ghte Radius will also create undesireable halos around edges.

If you are sharpening an image which will be printed on a printing press, and your image is the recommended resolution (twice the frequency of the halftone you will be using to reproduce the image on press), use a Radius of (halftone screen/100). So, for example, if your image is being printed on press with a 150-line-per-inch halftone, use a Radius value of 1.5.

The Threshold command determines how far apart two neighboring pixels must be in tonal value in order to be sharpened. I usually start with a Threshold of 3. Lower Threshold values exaggerate noise along with edges; higher values don’t sharpen noise, but also produce more muted sharpening overall.

Note that if your image is intended for print, you should set the Amount value so that the image looks slightly over-sharpened on your screen! This is because the process of halftoning the image for print decreases the apparent sharpness of the image (which is why all images should have USM applied if they are going to be used for print).

Hope that helps!

Biohazard? Radiation hazard? SO last-century.
Nanohazard T-shirts now available! http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
E
elbarcolutra
May 9, 2004
WHEW!!! I’m going to have to take a little time to see if I understand all this. In answer to some of your questions, the photos are 1540×1144 pixels (293 KB), adn the document size is 128 mm. If the final picture should be 80 mm wide, and more than 300 pixels, does that mean I can take only 2/3 of the image (80 divided by 128), or does that mean I can really take 1/5 of the image 300 divided by 1540)?

I will check on the setup tomorrow at work to see if I can save as a TIFF. I couldn’t figure out how when I took the pictures, so I just saved at the highest resolution possible in JPG format. If I can change it, I will. The microscope is connected via a SONY program into an older version of Photoshop. But if I can get away without retaking them, it would really be preferable. But if I have to, I will.

I’m sorry–I won’t know what type of paper the publisher will use, and I don’t think I will know. They said simply that the colors must look correct using CMYK. The publishing company publishes scientific textbooks and reference books. The images will be on a color plate.

Now I’m going to go read the rest of what you said and try to figure it out!

Thanks!

(Tacit) wrote in message news:…
This is what I’ve done so far: I have several photographs of blood cells. photographed all the blood cells at the same magnification (100x oil) using the same lighting conditions; they are currently saved as jpgs.

You’ve already started down the wrong path. JPEG uses "lossy" compression; that means it deliberately degrades the image in order to save space on disk. JPEG is only appropriate for situations where file size on disk is important and image quality is not important. It is not generally appropriate for images destined for professional printing.

I need to have pictures that are 19 picas wide (or 80
mm). I am interested in showing only a small area of each photomicrograph, so I want to crop the images that I have, and keep them all exactly the same size when I’m done (and thus the magnification will be equal across all pictures).

What size are they now? What resolution are they now?

You can crop the image using the crop tool or marquee tool, then use the Image Size command (with the "Resample Image" checkbox turned OFF) to make the images 80mm wide. However, depending on how the image was originally created, this may produce an image that is too low in resolution. It should be at least 300 pixels per inch *at the final size.*

You can turn on "Resample Image" in the Image Size dialog and make the resolution be 300 pixels per inch, but you can never create detail that is not present in the original by doing this; the results will not be better. You need to CREATE the image with enough resolution in the first place!
The color images need to be submitted in CMYK format (which I figured out how to do on the Photoshop menu).

HOW are you converting to CMYK? What kind of paper will the images be printed on? This is important stuff! You can’t blindly go Image->Mode->CMYK and end up with something that will be printable on any kind of paper and press.
For best results, you MUST use File->Color Settings->CMYK Setup, and use the CMYK Setup dialog box to specify the separation parameters for your press and paper, EVERY time you create a CMYK separation.

Also, many colors in RGB can not be reproduced in CMYK. CMYK has a different range of colors, or "gamut," than RGB.

If your image contains out-of-gamut colors, these colors will be converted to their nearest approximation in CMYK. The result will be a color which is less saturated and somewhat flatter.

Often, a little bit of color tweaking is necessary in the CMYK image. After separating an RGB image to CMYK, you may wish to use the Curves command (Image->Adjust->Curves) to increase contrast in the midtones slightly, as the separation often becomes flatter in the midtones.

Specific colors can be tweaked with Image->Adjust->Selective Color. For example, if your blues have yellow in them, you can remove yellow from blues to make them more saturated and richer.

When you color corrrect the image, you should, of course, have your Info palette open. Look at the numbers in the out-of-gamut colors; see if your primary colors have any contaminating color that can be reduced to increase saturation. For example, yellow in your blues or cyan in your reds can be reduced, if present, to make the colors richer.

Vivid RGB blues often separate with too much magenta, making the colors appear more purple than blue. Using Selective Color to reduce magenta in blues will often solve this problem.

The range and depth of color you can expect to get depends on the settings in your CMYK setup, which themselves depend on the kind of paper and press you are going to be printing on.

As for setting up your CMYK separation:

If you just go Image->Mode->CMYK without changing the values in your CMYK setup, the result will look okay on most sheetfed presses and coated (glossy) color stocks, but will not be acceptable for, say, newspaper printing.
For best results, you should talk to your printer about what to do. Most importantly, make sure he gives you the values he needs for maximum ink and maximum black percentages; if you exceed these values, the image may smear on press.

As starter points:

For sheetfed presses printing on high-quality coated paper, you can usually use GCR, 100% black ink limit, 300% total ink limit, Light or Medium black generation.

For very high quality lithographic output, your total ink limit can go as high as 310%.

For web-fed presses on glossy paper, or sheetfed presses using high-quality uncoated paper at a 110-line halftone or above, use GCR, 100% black ink limit, 280% total ink limit, Light or Medium black generation.

Newsprint is a different story entirely. For newsprint, appropriate settings might be UCR, 240% to 260% total ink limit, 85% black ink limit. When you convert the image to CMYK, it will look washed-out and flat, but newsprint darkens *considerably* on press so this reduction in density is necessary.
Assuming I don’t do a lot of touchup (just autocolor), it seems that I could do this as a cookbook exercise, if I only knew how to do it (do I guesstimate the millimeters using the tool bars?

You crop whatever area you want, with no regard for size. Then you use Image Size with Resample Image OFF to make the image exactly 80MM wide.
Once I crop an
area, how do I save it?

File->Save As. For print, do not use JPEG. Use TIFF.

Do I crop, then autocolor, then change to
CMYK? Another order?

Generally speaking, you do coarse color correction on the original, convert to CMYK, do final color correction there, crop, unsharp mask, and save for print. Unsharp masking is used to sharpen the image; any image destined for press will benefit from sharpening using Unsharp Mask.

Unsharp masking is part art, part science. There is no set way to use it which works for all images.

Generally speaking, however:

The Unsharp Mask filter works by exaggerating areas of high contrast–ie, edges. This gives the appearance of sharper edges, and increases the apparent overall sharpness of the image. While it can’t make a blurred or out-of-focus image sharp (nothing can do this), it can dramatically increase the perception of sharpness. And unsharp masking is a requirement to get good-looking images in print.

The Amount slider dictates how much edges are increased in contrast. If the value in this slider is too high, the image will appear to have "halos" around the edges.

The Radius slider determines how wide the area of enhanced contrast is around edges. In general, the amount you put in the Radius field depends on the resolution of the image; the higher the resolution in pixels per inch, the wider the Radius.

A good place to start is (image resolution/200). If the image is screen resolution–100 pixels per inch or less–try a Radius of 1. Increasin ghte Radius will also create undesireable halos around edges.
If you are sharpening an image which will be printed on a printing press, and your image is the recommended resolution (twice the frequency of the halftone you will be using to reproduce the image on press), use a Radius of (halftone screen/100). So, for example, if your image is being printed on press with a 150-line-per-inch halftone, use a Radius value of 1.5.

The Threshold command determines how far apart two neighboring pixels must be in tonal value in order to be sharpened. I usually start with a Threshold of 3. Lower Threshold values exaggerate noise along with edges; higher values don’t sharpen noise, but also produce more muted sharpening overall.
Note that if your image is intended for print, you should set the Amount value so that the image looks slightly over-sharpened on your screen! This is because the process of halftoning the image for print decreases the apparent sharpness of the image (which is why all images should have USM applied if they are going to be used for print).

Hope that helps!
T
tacitr
May 10, 2004
WHEW!!! I’m going to have to take a little time to see if I understand all this. In answer to some of your questions, the photos are 1540×1144 pixels (293 KB), adn the document size is 128 mm.

That means the image resolution is approximately 305 pixels per inch. To calculate resolution, take the width in pixels and divide by the width in inches; this’ll tell you how big each pixel is, and you’ll get the resolution in pixels per inch.

For offset printing, your image should be at least 300 pixels per inch, or at least 120 pixels per cm.

I’m sorry–I won’t know what type of paper the publisher will use, and I don’t think I will know. They said simply that the colors must look correct using CMYK.

They should supply you with this information. Publications have a "spec sheet" that they make available to advertisers and contributors; this spec sheet gives you information about the trim size (page size) of the publication, the file formats the publication will accept, and the CMYK parameters (total ink density and so on) that the publication expects.

If you do not have this information, then before you convert the images to CMYK, it’s best to use GCR, 280% total ink limit, 100% black ink limit, Light black generation. This will look good on just about any coated (glossy) stock, without risk of excessive density.

The problem is that if you do your separation with the total ink density set too high, the image will look absolutely fine on your screen, but it will smear on press, because too much ink is being laid down on the paper.

Biohazard? Radiation hazard? SO last-century.
Nanohazard T-shirts now available! http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections