MW
Posted By
matthias_waschke
Feb 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve installed Vista 64 Business on a AMD AM2+ platform with a Athlon Dual Core CPU (BE 5000). When installing CS3 Photoshop everything seems to be fine, no error messages during the install.
But now when I try to start Photoshop…it won’t open. The Photoshop gray screen comes up with the menu at top, but then it just sits there. Once I got the window with the serial number input, but after entering the number it stopped as well. The only way to close Photoshop is with the Task Manager.

I’ve tried different installations: Photoshop on a new Vista installation without having any other programs installed (no FW or AV), on a installation with different other applications running and so on. Everytime I get the same result: gray screen and stop!

Any ideas? I don’t know what to do else, Photoshop is the only application having problems on my system!

thanks
Matthias

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CT
Christine_Thibeault
Jul 30, 2008
Hi Matthias!

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have a similar one and i’m still unable to get it to start
JT
John_T_Smith
Jul 30, 2008
Since this is a USER TO USER forum, not Adobe support, and as the only way another user could reply is if they had that EXACT problem and also had a solution, you may need to contact Adobe for help

In the US – Adobe General support 800-833-6687
In the US – Adobe Install Problems 800-642-3623

But… unless the info at the Adobe product page says your version is certified for 64bit, you likely won’t get support from Adobe
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 30, 2008
Vista 64 does at least have quasi-support from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/education/products/creativesuite/faq.ht ml

Do Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications run on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista?
While Adobe Creative Suite 3 software is natively 32 bit, these applications will run on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista. For an in-depth overview of 64-bit computing and its value, see this blog from Scott Byer, Adobe Photoshop software architect.

Bob
CT
Christine_Thibeault
Jul 30, 2008
My reason for asking the question in the first place is that I have the EXACT same computer configuration and the EXACT same problem, my choice of words was probably wrong since English is not my original language.

And Yes I have called Adobe many times and spent endless hours on the phone trying to make it work and I still don’t have an answer, all I got is it should run fine on my system.

Over the last 15 years I have completed many college and university degrees in graphic design, television production, photography and computer science (programming and networks). I am too, trying to trouble-shoot the problem.

Since the last post I have left, I have stumbled upon some pretty strong reasons why CS3 (amongst others) might not work right away on one of the recent AMD dual core processors, I haven’t try any of the possible fix for it yet since I’m a t work but I will. As soon as I know what’s wrong and how to fix it and ensure it is a sure solution for others, I will share my experience.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 1, 2008
Photoshop CS3 works fine on my AMD Athlon X2 6400+ dual core processor.
F
Freeagent
Aug 1, 2008
This question of whether Photoshop has problems on the AMD platform has been up before, and every time the answer has turned out no.

I’ve been on both platforms on and off, also with CS3, and my personal experience is that the AMD systems have been the more reliable in all respects. I’m on Intel now, but I hope AMD will come up with a new line of CPUs soon.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections