DL
Posted By
d lynn
Sep 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why is it that an 8.5" x 11" pdf, saved as a JPEG in Photoshop, shrinks down to a 0.11" x 0.9" jpg when inserted into PowerPoint?

Does anyone know of a solution for this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
Sep 10, 2003
When you rasterized the PDF, are you sure you didn’t mess with the settings when you opened it?

Bob
JM
John Mensinger
Sep 10, 2003
There are too many variables related to your question to arrive at a simple, definitive answer. My attempt to reproduce the scenario resulted in a JPEG that imported to PowerPoint larger than the original 8.5" x 11" image size…(looks about 10" x 12"). I’m sure that this is all dependent upon the original resolution of the PDF, the resolution at which it was rasterized in Photoshop, and the version of PowerPoint you’re using. The incredibly tiny size you’re getting in PowerPoint suggests that the resolution at some step in the process is/was very low, but though I haven’t done the math, I can’t imagine it being that low and still recognizable, even on-screen. Can you tell us more about what you’re doing?
PH
Photo Help
Sep 10, 2003
d lynn,

What are the dimensions of the JPG (Pixels not Inches)?
DL
d lynn
Sep 10, 2003
Hi Bob, no, I didn’t fiddle with the settings. The image size is 32.2M; width 8.5" height 11"; resolution is 300 pixels/inch. Mode is CMYK Color Constrain Proportions is checked.
DL
d lynn
Sep 10, 2003
The pixel dimensions are 2550 (width) and 3300 (height)
DL
d lynn
Sep 10, 2003
John:

I am working in Photoshop 6.0 and the PDF is converted from an Excel file (2000)that is then converted into a JPEG. Based on what you posted, I think I’m going to go back and take a look at the dimensions on the original Excel file. However, in the meantime, if you can give me a solution to this, please do.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 10, 2003
d lynn,

Why are you importing an image that large into power point anyway? The screen resolution on most projectors is less than 1024×768. If this is just for a presintation you definitely don’t need it in CYMK.

I have no idea what you are doing to shrink the size. Using Photoshop 6.0 with Power POint 2000 I had no problems importing a PDF created from an Excel spreadsheet using Insert -> Picture -> From File in power point.

It sounds to me like something is messed up with your PowerPoint.
DL
d lynn
Sep 10, 2003
Are you suggesting I use "RGB" then? These PowerPoint files are not used as a slide show, they are used as a hard-copy client presentation (I am not the original creator of the files–just an end user–don’t know why this was the program of choice).

I do know that I am pushing the limits of what the Microsoft programs can do in terms of presentation capabilities. This is what I’m stuck with until we can switch over to publishing software.

The other thing is that I just had a rebuild on my PC and before this, I didn’t have this problem.
JM
John Mensinger
Sep 10, 2003
d lynn,

I still have no clue how/why this is happening, but even more puzzling, (to me anyway), is why you would attempt to "bridge" this Excel spreadsheet through PDF to JPEG to PowerPoint in the first place. Have you tried bringing the Excel file directly into PowerPoint? MS Office apps have many ways to "play together," and it’s quite easy to get anything from one into the other…(?)
DL
d lynn
Sep 10, 2003
Yes we did and it didn’t work because some of the spreadsheets/text didn’t come over readable. We also found out that we have to rotate and/or scale down some of the spreadsheets so they would fit on an 8.5 x 11 page.

Anyway, it turns out that the ‘RGB’ was the culprit (so far). When I changed it from ‘CMYK’, everything came in the right size.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions/feedback.
PH
Photo Help
Sep 10, 2003
d lynn,

Glad to hear you got your problem fixed.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections