CS2 Reactivation Required after WIN2000 System Crash?

J
Posted By
JOHNCHAP2
Jan 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Several times a year my C drive crashes (for a variety of reasons not at issue here, although usually because WIN2000 becomes unbootable) requiring me to do a bare metal recovery by reloading the disk from the full system backup I create periodically using Acronis True Image backup software. After reload, everything but CS2 and Bridge work as usual. However, the CS2 msg requires me to click on a box that says something like Reregester or Reactivate. I do not have to rekey any license numbers or anything, just click the box and the rest was done automatically. The last time this happened the msg said something like I had run out of reactivations and I had to call Adobe to "reactivate" CS2. This is a real pain in the neck, particularly since system crashes do happen from time to time, where time to time is usually late on a Friday or Saturday night.

CS2 and its predecessor CS have been loaded on the same physical computer the entire time and they have only been installed on the one computer. I have never deactivated the software to move it to another computer.

I only have the problem after a crash and recovery from my backup disk image.

Since after a full restore, everything including the registry (WIN2000) are the same as before the crash, I have no idea why CS2 would even think there was a problem.

Regardless, is there something else I can do to ensure that CS2 does not think there is a problem? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
Tak
Feb 1, 2008
"JOHNCHAP2" wrote in message
Several times a year my C drive crashes (for a variety of reasons not at issue here, although usually because WIN2000 becomes unbootable) requiring me to do a bare metal recovery by reloading the disk from the full system backup I create periodically using Acronis True Image backup software. After reload, everything but CS2 and Bridge work as usual. However, the CS2 msg requires me to click on a box that says something like Reregester or Reactivate. I do not have to rekey any license numbers or anything, just click the box and the rest was done automatically. The last time this happened the msg said something like I had run out of reactivations and I had to call Adobe to "reactivate" CS2. This is a real pain in the neck, particularly since system crashes do happen from time to time, where time to time is usually late on a Friday or Saturday night.

CS2 and its predecessor CS have been loaded on the same physical computer the entire time and they have only been installed on the one computer. I have never deactivated the software to move it to another computer.

I only have the problem after a crash and recovery from my backup disk image.

Since after a full restore, everything including the registry (WIN2000) are the same as before the crash, I have no idea why CS2 would even think there was a problem.

Regardless, is there something else I can do to ensure that CS2 does not think there is a problem? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Adobe writes stuff to the Master Boot Record on the disk. A real bare metal restore would probably include the MBR stuff. I would guess that your BMR actually does not include the MBR stuff.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections