Posted By
name
Jan 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi.

In Photoshop there is a difference between the way paint interacts with the current stroke and previous strokes. So if you draw a loop and you cross the line where you started out, the paint interacts with
it in a different way then if you draw over previous brush strokes. This is counter intuitive, because in reality, if you use paint it doesn’t make any difference whether or not you paint in a single or multiple strokes as far as the way the paint interacts with paint on the canvas is concerned.

I’ve uploaded a short clip on youtube to illustrate my point, because it’s a bit difficult to explain it in words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d7lYtU3fzg

If anyone knows of any plugins that can circumvent this issue or perhaps knows of any other software that allows you to paint where this issue doesn’t occur, I’d like to hear about it.

Comments or suggestions are appreciated, kind regards, Niek

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
MisterOwl
Jan 29, 2008
On Jan 29, 1:22 am, sobriquet wrote:
Hi.

Howdy

If anyone knows of any plugins that can circumvent this issue or perhaps knows of any other software that allows you to paint where this issue doesn’t occur, I’d like to hear about it.

You don’t need plugins, you just need to spend a little time doing homework regarding brush presets, opacity, flow, etc. The "problem" you illustrate can be easily fixed by spending a little time getting to know how brushes behave when used with different settings. I found this in about 5 seconds on Google:

http://www.mambo.net/cgi-bin/TempProcessor/view/159

Good luck!
J
N
name
Jan 30, 2008
On 29 jan, 18:57, MisterOwl wrote:
On Jan 29, 1:22 am, sobriquet wrote:

Hi.

Howdy

You don’t need plugins, you just need to spend a little time doing homework regarding brush presets, opacity, flow, etc. The "problem" you illustrate can be easily fixed by spending a little time getting to know how brushes behave when used with different settings. I found this in about 5 seconds on Google:

http://www.mambo.net/cgi-bin/TempProcessor/view/159

Good luck!
J

Ah yes, you’re right, it was my lack of basic knowledge of brush properties like flow and opacity that was the ‘issue’ and that illustration is very helpful. Good to focus on that distinction between flow and opacity a bit. Like the distinction between opacity and fill in the layer palette which can also be a bit confusing at first.
I see now that assigning pen pressure to control the flow (instead of opacity) in the brush settings (other dynamics) achieves the kind of interaction where one stroke is more similar to multiple strokes in interaction with existing paint.
M
MisterOwl
Jan 30, 2008
Glad to be of help, happy painting! 😀

J

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections