Posted By
Todd Last
Jan 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I am trying to install Photoshop CS3 upgrade to my Windows XP machine which is currently running CS2. I have never downloaded or installed the CS3 demo.

When I run the installer, I get the screen which says "Currently Installing Shared components" and then it goes to the finish screen where it reports that the install was not successful

See:<http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubatoguy/2213371825/>

NOTES:
Reinstalling always results in the same problem.
I do not have large fonts turned on.
I’ve tried the registered jscript.dll
I’ve unistalled flash player
I’m running XP Pro with all current fixes installed

None of these has helped.

Is there a log file somewhere which tells you more information? I think it is pretty poor that the installed says that the install failed, but gives no detailed info.

I like Adobe products, but they sure can’t seem to make an installer which works. I don’t think I have had any Adobe product that did a complete clean install on the first try. I’ve opened a support case with Adobe, but shudder to use their tech support as they are never very helpful. They also seem to have a habit of closing the support cases even when they are not resolved. (I guess that makes their metrics look better on some manager’s report at Adobe.)

Thanks,
Todd

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jan 23, 2008
"Todd Last" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to install Photoshop CS3 upgrade to my Windows XP machine which is currently running CS2. I have never downloaded or installed the CS3 demo.

When I run the installer, I get the screen which says "Currently Installing Shared components" and then it goes to the finish screen where it reports that the install was not successful

NOTES:

Is there a log file somewhere which tells you more information? I think it is pretty poor that the installed says that the install failed, but gives no detailed info.

I like Adobe products, but they sure can’t seem to make an installer which works. I don’t think I have had any Adobe product that did a complete clean install on the first try. I’ve opened a support case with Adobe, but shudder to use their tech support as they are never very helpful. They also seem to have a habit of closing the support cases even when they are not resolved. (I guess that makes their metrics look better on some manager’s report at Adobe.)

Thanks,
Todd,

Is IE your default browser?
Installation problems should be handled free by Adobe.

TWK
G
gowanoh
Jan 23, 2008
Something you have running in the background is likely preventing the installation.
First manually delete all references to CS3 in My Programs, Windows and the registry if you understand how to hunt these down.
Make sure your video card driver is up to date.
Make sure there is enough room on your hard drive. Defragment the hard drive if necessary.
Reboot.
Turn off your virus program, antispyware and anything of that ilk you have running in the background including third party Firewalls. The Windows XP firewall should not be a problem but you can turn it off also. Bring up Task Manager and look at the Processes tab. Shut off any unnecessary processes (Itunes, Google et al).
If Adobe still fails to install download the Microsoft memory tester to see if you have a problem with RAM, althugh that usually causes random lock-ups. I agree that Adobe support is not as helpful as it could be and they simply stop responding to unresolved issues.
TL
Todd Last
Jan 23, 2008
I retried the install with IE as the default browser (I use Firefox as my default) and got the same result – the install fails.

I have opened up a ticket with Adobe – no response yet.

I am a little hesitant about Adobe support after the experience I had with them with Premiere Pro 2. (Which would not install.) The tech support:
1.) Said it was a defective disk – made me pay $35 for a new one. The
new one did not work.
2.) Kept closing my support ticket when none of their ideas worked
3.) Suggested that I pay $300 to upgrade to Premiere Pro CS3 and try that.
4.) Said they could not help me because they no longer supported PP 2

Needless to say I have not been impressed by the level of support offered by Adobe nor the quality of their tech support. They only seem interested in you as long as you are paying them money. (IMHO)

(rant off)

Toobi-Won Kenobi wrote:
Hello,

NOTES:

Thanks,
Todd,

Is IE your default browser?
Installation problems should be handled free by Adobe.

TWK

From – Wed
TL
Todd Last
Jan 23, 2008
I ran msconfig and turned off everything but microsoft services. Same problem – install fails in the same way.
114GB free on the hard drive
No virus program running
No firewall running

I’ll try the memory tester.

The video driver is the current NVidia Geforce 3 Microsoft driver (I see there is a newer one on the NVIDIA site, I’ll try that and rerun the install.)

thanks
Todd

dullpain wrote:
Something you have running in the background is likely preventing the installation.
First manually delete all references to CS3 in My Programs, Windows and the registry if you understand how to hunt these down.
Make sure your video card driver is up to date.
Make sure there is enough room on your hard drive. Defragment the hard drive if necessary.
Reboot.
Turn off your virus program, antispyware and anything of that ilk you have running in the background including third party Firewalls. The Windows XP firewall should not be a problem but you can turn it off also. Bring up Task Manager and look at the Processes tab. Shut off any unnecessary processes (Itunes, Google et al).
If Adobe still fails to install download the Microsoft memory tester to see if you have a problem with RAM, althugh that usually causes random lock-ups. I agree that Adobe support is not as helpful as it could be and they simply stop responding to unresolved issues.

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jan 23, 2008
I retried the install with IE as the default browser (I use Firefox as my default) and got the same result – the install fails.

I am a little hesitant about Adobe support after the experience I had with them with Premiere Pro 2. (Which would not install.) The tech support:
1.) Said it was a defective disk – made me pay $35 for a new one. The new
one did not work.

Needless to say I have not been impressed by the level of support offered by Adobe nor the quality of their tech support. They only seem interested in you as long as you are paying them money. (IMHO)

(rant off)
Todd,
You are not alone with your impression of the level (or not) of service offered by Adobe, A is for arrogance.
The only time I had problems with PS was with CS and I ended up making a new PC with two removable caddies, both holding masters, loaded with the OS. One had everything on it except PS, the other just had PS, nothing else, no internet, AV software, anything at all. The PC also had a fixed internal slave HD as well.
How it worked was via a dual boot system, if I was using PS I would boot into the PS drive; anything else, internet etc, I booted into the other drive. When this drive was loaded the second drive (PS) was seen as a slave and was looked after by the AV prog on the non PS drive. It worked just fine and PS all on its own just flew. I kept all my work on the non removable slave drive.
Back to your problem.
You must go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Programs and make sure the "IE should check to see etc., " is ticked.
I know that this may seem strange but it has been known to resolve this problem in the past.
You asked earlier if it was possible to log the installation process. I have use a MS utility called Regmon (also one called Filemon) that logs the folders and registry keys that an application accesses when it runs. I have never used either to monitor an install though, only problems with installed applications. If you could get it to monitor the installation only (it will monitor every running process on the PC if you do not filter it) it may show you where the installation fails.
Beware, these apps can generate an enormous amount of data.

TWK
TL
Todd Last
Jan 23, 2008
Toobi-Won Kenobi wrote:

1.) Said it was a defective disk – made me pay $35 for a new one. The new
one did not work.

(rant off)
Todd,
You are not alone with your impression of the level (or not) of service offered by Adobe, A is for arrogance.
The only time I had problems with PS was with CS and I ended up making a new PC with two removable caddies, both holding masters, loaded with the OS. One had everything on it except PS, the other just had PS, nothing else, no internet, AV software, anything at all. The PC also had a fixed internal slave HD as well.
How it worked was via a dual boot system, if I was using PS I would boot into the PS drive; anything else, internet etc, I booted into the other drive. When this drive was loaded the second drive (PS) was seen as a slave and was looked after by the AV prog on the non PS drive. It worked just fine and PS all on its own just flew. I kept all my work on the non removable slave drive.
Back to your problem.
You must go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Programs and make sure the "IE should check to see etc., " is ticked.
I know that this may seem strange but it has been known to resolve this problem in the past.
You asked earlier if it was possible to log the installation process. I have use a MS utility called Regmon (also one called Filemon) that logs the folders and registry keys that an application accesses when it runs. I have never used either to monitor an install though, only problems with installed applications. If you could get it to monitor the installation only (it will monitor every running process on the PC if you do not filter it) it may show you where the installation fails.
Beware, these apps can generate an enormous amount of data.
TWK

Thanks for the suggestions!
I do like your boot solution – it does seem, at least with regards to installs, Adobe does not play well with others.

I can’t believe that the adobe installer itself does not create an installation log…. amazing…
TL
Todd Last
Feb 7, 2008
Just an update on how I was able to successfully install adobe photoshop CS3 on my computer. (Note that Adobe tech support was not at all helpful in finding the solution – though I did get an amusement of the day by their opening line… "I understand that you are ….." It seemed clear that the tech support people did not even read the prior emails to determine what had been done in the past on my ticket.

In any case to recap – I kept getting errors during the install, looking at the Microsoft event viewer It showed consistent problems in extracting or reading the cab files. (even after copying the DVD to my hard drive and installing from there.

I swapped out my DVD drive thinking that perhaps it was a hardware problem. No luck, the same problem happened with a new drive of a different manufacturer.

Thinking that it might be a timing issue that was causing the files to report the wrong CRC when extracting, I looked at what might be doing this and started removing programs that I felt might be effecting system timing.

Lucky me, the first program I removed solved the problem.

So, if you are getting installer errors that are 1300 series errors, or you see errors in extracting the cab files, look to see if you have "Intel Application Accelerator" installed.

Remove this program from the add-remove programs dialog in the control panel, reboot, and see if that now allows the install to proceed successfully.

It worked for me.

Todd

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections