N
Posted By
nsag
Jan 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After all this time with CS3 I still can not understand why some controls are in only the converter, only in Photoshop or in both. And if they are in both they may be be labeled differently, or maybe they are not the same but seem to work the same.
If one wants to use the "vibrance" control there is no equivalent clearly labeled so in PS, but ways to achieve the same.
Ditto with "clarity."
The "luminance" control in the converter can be useful but is not available in PS. Similar effects can be achieved in PS but are they the same just because the end result looks the same?
There is no way to simply adjust levels in the converter analogous to PS for no reason I can think of. Personally I think it is a better way to do things than using the multiple sliders that have to be adjusted in the converter without telling you if you have simply lopped off the empty space to the right or left of the histogram.
CS4 would be a worthwhile upgrade if it only imposed sane intelligent design on what is in the converter, what is in Photoshop or what is in both. I would rather see the converter disposed of entirely as a separate entity (remember it was originally a patch/kludge to add raw processing to earlier versions of PS) and have raw images open directly in PS with all functions available to all image types. Adobe already did this a kludged way by allowing tif and jpegs to be opened in the converter.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections