Posted By
Vincent_Vantine
Jan 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I have a licensing question… when using the upgrade version of Photoshop CS3, will it accept an upgrade key of Photoshop CS2 to complete installation or does it require the full Photoshop CS2 product?

Thank you for your help!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Jan 8, 2008
You’re good.

Bob
JW
John_Waller
Jan 8, 2008
will it accept an upgrade key of Photoshop CS2 to complete installation or does it require the full Photoshop CS2 product?

Requiring a full CS2 product license key for upgrading would make it pretty tough for the hundreds of thousands (or perhaps millions) of users upgrading from a CS2 upgrade whose last full product may have been v1.0 🙂

My upgrade to CS3 from my CS2 upgrade went just fine on both PC and laptop using my CS2 upgrade key. I joined the Photoshop family at version 5.5.

Regards

John Waller
VV
Vincent_Vantine
Jan 8, 2008
I see. I’m curious though, wouldn’t this present a licensing issue for Adobe? For example, couldn’t a user simply purchase an upgrade copy of CS2 for less than $200, then purchase the CS3 upgrade for $200 and wind up with a complete (and valid) installation for $250 less than the full version? :/
B
Buko
Jan 8, 2008
I suppose if he wants to wait 2 years to use photoshop. seems a little impractical

Its not like you can go and just buy a copy of CS2 anymore.
JW
John_Waller
Jan 8, 2008
For example, couldn’t a user simply purchase an upgrade copy of CS2 for less than $200,

If you can find one to purchase.

Regards

John Waller
JJ
John_Joslin
Jan 8, 2008
If you can find one to purchase

…. that isn’t a Singapore Sling*.

* the best thing you can do with one of those is sling it!
B
Baabin
Jan 8, 2008
I believe the upgrade copy requires a full version to already be installed to upgrade from… It uses what is already installed for completion of the upgrade. All you might see if trying it without is a notification you need a full version installed to do what you want to do.

wrote in message
I see. I’m curious though, wouldn’t this present a licensing issue for Adobe? For example, couldn’t a user simply purchase an upgrade copy of CS2 for less than $200, then purchase the CS3 upgrade for $200 and wind up with a complete (and valid) installation for $250 less than the full version? :/

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections