J
Posted By
jfroche
Jun 21, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On one of those rare occasions when my family was together, somebody suggested a family photograph. Unfortunately, it was warm inside and cold outside so the image ended up with the top half of the photograph washed out, almost fogged over, while the bottom half is fine. There are a couple of other minor flaws as well (trees growing out of my brothers head, another brothers hair messed up) but I have been able to fix these. Any ideas on how to get the big problem resolved. I am a newbie who uses PSE for organization and minor adjustments and have recently upgraded to PSE 7.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
jfroche
Jun 22, 2009
On Jun 21, 12:49 pm, Jimbo wrote:
On one of those rare occasions when my family was together, somebody suggested a family photograph.  Unfortunately, it was warm inside and cold outside so the image ended up with the top half of the photograph washed out, almost fogged over, while the bottom half is fine.  There are a couple of other minor flaws as well (trees growing out of my brothers head, another brothers hair messed up) but I have been able to fix these.  Any ideas on how to get the big problem resolved.  I am a newbie who uses PSE for organization and minor adjustments and have recently upgraded to PSE 7.

Some further detail: I’ve added a number of adjustment layers to different parts of the washed out part of the picture which have improved it significantly. Is this the correct approach or is there some other strategy I should use. This brings me to another question, what is the correct strategy for tackling a problem image like this? Apply general fix to background to optimize it followed by adjustment layers, etc.
LL
Leo Lichtman
Jun 22, 2009
"Jimbo" wrote: (clip) This brings me to another question, what is the correct strategy for tackling a problem image like this? Apply general fix to background to optimize it followed by adjustment layers, etc.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Evidently you are serious, but I am still puzzled about this. You attribute the unevenness in the image to a difference in indoor/outdoor temperature? I don’t see how this is possible. Please explain. As to making the two parts look alike, I would make two layers, and work on work on each part separately–then use an eraser to make them blend so the seam does not show.
J
jfroche
Jun 29, 2009
On Jun 22, 12:36 pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"Jimbo" wrote:  (clip) This brings me to another question,
what is the correct strategy for tackling a problem image like this? Apply general fix to background to optimize it followed by adjustment layers, etc.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Evidently you are serious, but I am still puzzled about this.  You attribute the unevenness in the image to a difference in indoor/outdoor temperature? I don’t see how this is possible.  Please explain.  As to making the two parts look alike, I would make two layers, and work on work on each part separately–then use an eraser to make them blend so the seam does not show.

Why do you question my seriousness? Was my initial question really so …. simplistic? If so, it shows how little I know 🙂 The camera was taken from the very warm indoors to the cold outdoors and condensation formed on the optics. This cleared over the course of 15 or 20 minutes so that later images from the same session were fine but a few of the earlier ones were messed up. It is one of those earlier ones that I am working on. Thanks for your suggestion.
C
Catharsis
Jul 1, 2009
If it’s an issue that you really wanna handle to the best of “all” ability check out Adobe Photoshop instructional video site http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/ and click on Ph (creative suit 3) and then look for “making lighting corrections” and the last project in that video (I hope will be what your looking for) but I don’t know…. It totally blew my mind I don’t know how in the world it can do “that” but I’ve tried it a few times and it worked for me…

Elements is (totally, without question) a watered down version of Photoshop. However, it’s so complicated that I went and bought Elements to make a step into learning Photoshop, I mean how much would a book or even a class cost to learn Photoshop and how much is Elements and a used book to learn how to tweak photos? So I bought into Elements….

Also it just struck me – that maybe you need to be a member to see the video (I forgot if I’m logging in automatically). So although it’s talking about Creative Suite (its still just the Photoshop program within it)…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections