JB
Posted By
Joel_Benedict
Jan 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop Elements 1 for Windows. Can I upgrade to CS2 easily?

I know that you can upgrade to CS2 from any previous version, it takes a few extra steps is all. I don’t know if there are some arbitrary restrictions on Elements, though.
There is no one-stop shop for finding out what the earliest previous version required to upgrade to a more recent version of Adobe software. And for good reason: Adobe has dozens of products by now, with each product possessing 10 or more versions. A comprehensive list of all the possible combinations would be too big to browse through. A database allowing the input of the owners’ intended upgrade, and the output of their current version would be much easier.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JO
Jim_Oblak
Jan 2, 2008
CS2 is no longer for sale via Adobe.com. Other vendors selling CS2 upgrades may require extreme caution for legitimacy.

You can go to any Adobe product page and see the upgrade options.
JB
Joel_Benedict
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks! Do you have a link to Adobe’s options for upgrading to Photoshop CS2 from Elements 1? I wasn’t planning on buying Photoshop CS2 it through Adobe.
I
ID._Awe
Jan 2, 2008
Joel:

You cannot upgrade to CS2 from Elements 1. That is a lot to expect.

Do you really need the full Photoshop, if not then just upgrade to Elements 6.
JB
Joel_Benedict
Jan 2, 2008
I do need CS2; it is required by my school. I could probably make do with CS. I don’t need CS3. There is another post on this forum stating that it is possible to upgrade from even Photoshop 1, it takes some preparation and extra steps though. Elements came out around the same time as Photoshop 5, I think.
P
Phosphor
Jan 2, 2008
The point is that legal, earlier versions of Photoshop may be difficult or impossible to find. And if you DO find one, you have to be VERY careful you’re not getting an illegally transferred or pirate copy.

If the seller won’t agree to a proper license transfer–RUN!
U.S. Product License Transfer Policy:
< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn _15281>

And if you get a boxed copy that looks authentic, but is stamped with "Made in Singapore"–RUN to get your money back or put a stop on payment. Best to do this with an escrow account like PayPal.

Besides…since you’re a student, you can get the latest version of Photoshop at a decent educational discount price.
PSCS3 Extended – US$295:
<http://www.creationengine.com/html/p.lasso?p=15108> Pay attention to system requirements, though. If your system doesn’t meet the requirements you may not be able to install PS CS3, let alone run it.
JB
Joel_Benedict
Jan 2, 2008
I already own and have a registered legal edition of Photoshop Elements 1. I don’t need CS3, and I can’t afford the cheapest student edition of it.
My question is whether I can upgrade to Photoshop CS2 from Elements 1, and whether I need to use a more complicated process to get it to work.
P
Phosphor
Jan 2, 2008
"My question is whether I can upgrade to Photoshop CS2 from Elements 1,…"

No.
B
Buko
Jan 2, 2008
My question is whether I can upgrade to Photoshop CS2 from Elements 1

No as CS2 is no longer sold. I believe the Upgrade when you could get it was around $500 much more expensive that the student version of CS3. If you need it get CS3.
P
Phosphor
Jan 2, 2008
"If you need it get CS3."

Or not.

I ordered an upgrade from PS7 to PSCS2 at the very last possible moment—literally, just before midnight the night before the official release of PSCS3. I am (was?) eligible for the free bump up to PSCS3, but my hardware won’t handle it. I’m not bawling about it, because I really don’t need the newer features of PSCS3. I’ll just wait until the next cycle comes around, and I’ll have new hardware by then.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 2, 2008
I am (was?)

Was is likely correct. I think that offer expired some time ago.

Bob
JB
Joel_Benedict
Jan 2, 2008
Photoshop CS3 requires that you have Elements 3.0 or later. That means that when Photoshop CS2 was out, it probably required Elements 2.0 or later.
Even if I had to buy Elements 2.0 to get Photoshop CS2 to install, it would still be affordable. CS2 is still being sold, but Adobe has stopped selling it. I think Adobe would get more money if they would keep selling the old versions at lower prices. People pay for new stuff, so those profits wouldn’t go away.
P
Phosphor
Jan 2, 2008
"CS2 is still being sold"

Where? I’m sure there are folks here who would appreciate it if you were to provide a link or two to known reputable retailers.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 2, 2008
And a forums host who would be very grateful if you made sure they’re reputable BEFORE posting them.

Bob
JB
Joel_Benedict
Jan 2, 2008
eBay. The sellers I’ve done business with sold me software that ended up being completely legit. The software I’ve bought on eBay has never been registered or activated, and it is now registered solely to me on the Adobe website. Most sellers are willing to do the license transfer if it has been registered or activated. I always check the sellers’ feedback.

That’s not to say that unscrupulous sellers aren’t out there.
I
ID._Awe
Jan 3, 2008
Joel:

Your beating a dead horse. The answer to your first question is no. If you had a later version of Elements, the upgrade would cost more than a student version.

If you can’t afford the student version, then I would book time in the lab to use the school’s version.

The rest of what you’ve said and the arguements are just crap. These forums are not here to give you leads on how to get an illegal version and certainly don’t ask here about doing that.
RP
Rick_Popham
Jan 3, 2008
Joel,

As far as I know, any upgrades from Elements would have to be purchased directly from Adobe. If you have a qualifying, registered version of Elements, Adobe will sell you a full version of Photoshop at a discounted price (about $100 less than the full price).

You certainly can’t buy an upgrade package of CS2 or CS3 and expect it to upgrade from your Elements disk.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 3, 2008
The sellers I’ve done business with sold me software that ended up being completely legit.

<sarcasm>And of course any pirates would tell you that, and not claim that they are legit. This is the same reason that all bank robbers wear t-shirts saying "Bank Robber" to let the tellers know what they are there for. </sarcasm>
JB
Joel_Benedict
Jan 4, 2008
We’re Adobe users here, let’s keep a civil tone. This is a discussion, not an argument.

Best Buy sells Elements and Photoshop, and are legal resellers of Adobe products. Adobe is rightly protective of their intellectual property. No where in the Photoshop CS2 EULA does it restrict the reselling of software legally obtained, as long as: 1. the software is uninstalled from every computer the seller has, 2. the owner destroys any backup media, and 3. does a license transfer through Adobe.

Although Adobe prefers consumers to buy their software without a reseller, it does not fully restrict the legal resale of software.
I am looking to buy legal software, not sell it.

As for the economics of buying Photoshop CS2 and Elements 2.0, it would still set me back less than half of what the current student version of CS3 costs. Adobe should sell these old versions themselves if they are interested in profit. The hostility towards third party users of old versions is misdirected.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 4, 2008
You can’t buy an upgrade as a resale!

Bob
J
Jim
Jan 5, 2008
wrote in message
I already own and have a registered legal edition of Photoshop Elements 1. I don’t need CS3, and I can’t afford the cheapest student edition of it. My question is whether I can upgrade to Photoshop CS2 from Elements 1, and whether I need to use a more complicated process to get it to work.

The question is moot because CS2 is no loner being sold by Adobe. Buying CS2 from anyone else is very risky.

Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections