Any problems with W2K Pro compatibility?

DS
Posted By
Donna Skyer
Sep 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just purchased the W2K Pro upgrade (had Windows 98) and was wondering if anyone had any problems with compatibility between PhotoShop 5.0 and W2K Pro? I know there aren’t supposed to be any problems but I wanted to hear from the "real world."

Thanks,

-Donna

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
dbeltonhatesspam
Sep 10, 2003
No problems here on W2K Pro, or WinXP Pro… I would recommend that you do a fresh install of W2K instead of doing the upgrade, though… You can do this with the upgrade version, you just have to have your win98 cd handy so that it can verify that you do have a qualifying product for the upgrade.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:02:04 -0700, "Donna Skyer" wrote:

I just purchased the W2K Pro upgrade (had Windows 98) and was wondering if anyone had any problems with compatibility between PhotoShop 5.0 and W2K Pro? I know there aren’t supposed to be any problems but I wanted to hear from the "real world."

Thanks,

-Donna
HK
hans kelder gerkens
Sep 10, 2003
Hi Donna,

Just worked fine for me.
although I upgraded first from 98-se to ME, that worked fine, then after some months from ME to W2k Pro, wich worked fine too.

Then upgraded PS 5.x to 6.x followed by an upgrade to PS 7.01.

No problems at all.

Kind regards,

Hans
M
michaelcox48910
Sep 10, 2003
There is only one compatibility issue that I have experienced and it involves the swap file and the PS scratch file. I guess this is not even a compatibility issue, just a bugger to figure out if you configure your system this way.

Many admin types will tell you to place the swap file on a separate disk from the root drive. PS 5x will not run without having a swap file on the root drive. What I mean by "root drive" is the drive Windows is installed to. This is usually "C", but does not have to be.

Regards,

Michael
PH
Photo Help
Sep 10, 2003
Donna,

Just some advice on Windows upgrades in general.

Unless you have a lot of software that you don’t want to have to reinstall and or a very stable system I would reformat first. Your computer will be MUCH more stable if you do a clean install of windows. You can always go ahead and try the upgrade and if it works well you can leave it as is.

I always make a disk image with Ghost reformat and reinstall then extract the files I need from the ghost image. I know some people that just buy a new hard drive when they upgrade so they can keep their old drive intact until they have a chance to verify that all their legacy apps run on the new OS. Even though Ghost backs up the entire drive they are like getting a newer bigger hard drive and a new OS is as good an excuse as any.
DY
dude_yer_gittin_a_dell
Sep 10, 2003
I agree that it is always good to have atleast a small swap file on C…even if only 500MB for the sake of other programs that don’t know to look elsewhere for it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections