S
Posted By
slowbob
Jan 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Purchased subject software a while back. When I download it to my Dell Dimension the program works
but is extremely slow and even when I’m not using PS the computer slows down to a crawl. I’ve used
other complex image software without problems, but at this point after three download attempts I have no
choice but to remove PS entirely. I have plenty of hard drive space and memory. Brilliant insight will be
appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
mick
Jan 13, 2009
Purchased subject software a while back. When I download it to my Dell Dimension the program works but is extremely slow and even when I’m not using PS the computer slows down to a crawl. I’ve used other complex image software without problems, but at this point after three download attempts I have no choice but to remove PS entirely. I have plenty of hard drive space and memory. Brilliant insight will be appreciated.

I found it needs plenty of memory 512mb is hopeless, 2Gb is sluggish and 4Gb is ok. It was very slow opening the drop down menus, but once running it was bareable. Version 6 I have found is much quicker speed wise.

mick
JS
James Silverton
Jan 13, 2009
mick wrote on Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:53:26 GMT:

Purchased subject software a while back. When I download it to my Dell Dimension the program works but is extremely slow and even when I’m not using PS the computer slows down to a crawl. I’ve used other complex image software without
problems, but at this point after three download attempts I have no choice but to remove PS entirely. I have plenty of hard drive space and memory. Brilliant insight will be appreciated.

I found it needs plenty of memory 512mb is hopeless, 2Gb is sluggish and 4Gb is ok. It was very slow opening the drop down menus, but once running it was bareable. Version 6 I have found is much quicker speed wise.

A lot of memory has been needed since version 3.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
R
Rick
Jan 14, 2009
"mick" wrote in message
Purchased subject software a while back. When I download it to my Dell Dimension the program works but is extremely slow and even when I’m not using PS the computer slows down to a crawl. I’ve used other complex image software without problems, but at this point after three download attempts I have no choice but to remove PS entirely. I have plenty of hard drive space and memory. Brilliant insight will be appreciated.

mick
Mine has always run fine on 1Gb of memory. Worth asking Adobe? Geoff.
DC
Dave Cohen
Jan 14, 2009
Geoff. Hayward wrote:
"mick" wrote in message

mick
I’m running version 6 with 1gb less video sharing. It launches a bit slow, loads an image horribly slow, but after that it runs fine. Dave Cohen
S
slowbob
Jan 17, 2009
"Geoff. Hayward" wrote in
news::

"mick" wrote in message

mick

Thanks to all for taking the time. Food for thought.
B
Bartok
Feb 7, 2009
I’ve run Elements v5 on a 7 year old 1 gig system with no speed problems at all. The program loads fairly fast and loading and working with images are almost instantaneous. I think you should look at other areas in your machine for potential conflicts.

"slowbob" wrote in message
Purchased subject software a while back. When I download it to my Dell Dimension the program works
but is extremely slow and even when I’m not using PS the computer slows down to a crawl. I’ve used
other complex image software without problems, but at this point after three download attempts I have no
choice but to remove PS entirely. I have plenty of hard drive space and memory. Brilliant insight will be
appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections