Posted By
Silivren Eryn-Duin
Oct 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I wonder, is there a red eye removal tool, or plugin, available for photoshop or photoshop element?

I got used of paint shop pro 8, and in PSP8 there were many interesting tools to adjust photos, so I wonder if I can find the same in Photoshop.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Hecate
Oct 19, 2003
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:39:57 +0200, Silivren Eryn-Duin
wrote:

Hi,

I wonder, is there a red eye removal tool, or plugin, available for photoshop or photoshop element?

I got used of paint shop pro 8, and in PSP8 there were many interesting tools to adjust photos, so I wonder if I can find the same in Photoshop.
Yes, there is, but people who use Photoshop tend to learn how to use the software to do trivial adjustments like that themselves.

if you really must buy a plug in to do a job that shouldn’t take you more than a minute, then you can get one from:

www.andromeda.com

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
SE
Silivren Eryn-Duin
Oct 19, 2003
Le Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:04:33 +0100, Hecate a écrit:

if you really must buy a plug in to do a job that shouldn’t take you more than a minute, then you can get one from:

www.andromeda.com

Sure, I agree in doing this another way, but can you explain me then how to correct red eye? In PSP8 we can select eye color, select tge glint, iris size, stuff like that you know? It is very powerful and convenient…
N
niknik1971
Oct 19, 2003
Yes it is convenient but that is the difference between PSP and Photoshop. PSP is convenient and Photoshop is a no hand holding tool of the trade which will do the job right if you know what you are doing.

NIK

"Silivren Eryn-Duin" wrote in message
Le Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:04:33 +0100, Hecate a
J
Jasper
Oct 19, 2003
The search ‘Photoshop +"red eye"’ in Google gave me about 36,300 results in
0.21 seconds. There are all sorts of tutorials for PS. Here’s one site
dealing with red eye: http://www.planetphotoshop.com/PeteBauer13.html. Here’s another: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/tutorials/tutorial_4_1.htm

Hi,

Thanks
J
johnfarmer
Oct 19, 2003
This is a very quick, simple and accurate way to correct red eye in Photoshop.

1. Make a rough selection with the lasso tool to include all the pupil. It doesn’t matter if it includes some of the iris so long as it includes all the pupil and none of the lid.

2. Open the channels palette and highlight the red channel (Cntrl-1 is the short cut)

3. Go to Image>Apply Image and in the source channel select the green or blue channel.

4. Set the blending mode to darken, press enter, and a perfect correction is made.

I don’t know any better way to do it and it requires no careful selection and no plug-in.

JohnF

"niknik1971" wrote in message
Yes it is convenient but that is the difference between PSP and Photoshop. PSP is convenient and Photoshop is a no hand holding tool of the trade
which
will do the job right if you know what you are doing.

NIK

TD
The Data Rat
Oct 19, 2003
Another way is to select the area, I usually use the elliptical marquee with the shift button when needed, and go to adjustments, hue saturation and select red. That way I can get the pupil just the right shade since pupils are not always black.

Also, there is a free pug in at http://share.studio.adobe.com I tried it and it worked but it is faster for me to do it myself the way I mentioned.

"JohnF" wrote in message

1. Make a rough selection with the lasso tool to include all the pupil. It doesn’t matter if it includes some of the iris so long as it includes
all
the pupil and none of the lid.

2. Open the channels palette and highlight the red channel (Cntrl-1 is the short cut)

3. Go to Image>Apply Image and in the source channel select the green
or
blue channel.

4. Set the blending mode to darken, press enter, and a perfect
correction
is made.

I don’t know any better way to do it and it requires no careful selection and no plug-in.

JohnF

Yes it is convenient but that is the difference between PSP and
Photoshop.
PSP is convenient and Photoshop is a no hand holding tool of the trade
which

NIK

M
metpx3c
Oct 19, 2003
Silivren Eryn-Duin …
Hi,

Thanks

Do a search of this newsgroup for a message by On
August 26, 1999 he posted a really good Photoshop method for removing red eye. It’s simple, fast and the results are excellent. The following is text from that message:

"Go into your RGB channels. You’ll notice that most/all of the affected
area is in the Red channel (duh!). The red eye area in the Green and Blue channels should be healthy, and should look similar. Go to either
the Green or Blue channel and select (by any method you prefer) the dark part of the eye (pupil & irus). You can select some of the white of the eye too, but make sure you don’t select any skin! When it’s selected, copy it to the clipboard. Go to your Red channel, and Paste!! Red eye gone, and looks very realistic."
D
DosBoss57
Oct 19, 2003
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:57:04 +0200, Silivren Eryn-Duin
wrote:

www.andromeda.com

Sure, I agree in doing this another way, but can you explain me then how to correct red eye? In PSP8 we can select eye color, select tge glint, iris size, stuff like that you know? It is very powerful and convenient…
If PSP* is o powerful and convenient then why don’t you just use that….whatever floats your boat, dude!!!

//Õ¿Õ\\

DosBoss57

Imagine all the people living life in peace !
H
Hecate
Oct 20, 2003
wrote:

www.andromeda.com

I think everyone’s answered that before I got back here 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
ML
Mitchell Lorens
Oct 20, 2003
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:49:11 -0700, Hecate wrote
(in message ):

wrote:

www.andromeda.com

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

I went test driving a new G5 today. They had Photoshop Elements on it. There’s this big thing for red-eye correction. Elements is an app for the masses. They make it easy. Maybe you can check it out if you haven’t already.
WS
Warren Sarle
Oct 20, 2003
"Mitchell Lorens" wrote in message
I went test driving a new G5 today. They had Photoshop Elements on it. There’s this big thing for red-eye correction. Elements is an app for the masses. They make it easy. Maybe you can check it out if you haven’t
already.

It’s basically a brush that replaces one color with another color. It’s handy for a variety of things other than red-eye, and it will be in Photoshop CS.
SE
Silivren Eryn-Duin
Oct 20, 2003
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:57:00 +0000, Warren Sarle wrote:

"Mitchell Lorens" wrote in message
I went test driving a new G5 today. They had Photoshop Elements on it. There’s this big thing for red-eye correction. Elements is an app for the masses. They make it easy. Maybe you can check it out if you haven’t
already.

It’s basically a brush that replaces one color with another color. It’s handy for a variety of things other than red-eye, and it will be in Photoshop CS.

What exactly is photoshop CS?
F
Flycaster
Oct 20, 2003

A name change. It’s just the latest Photoshop up-date.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
SE
Silivren Eryn-Duin
Oct 20, 2003
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:29:51 -0700, Flycaster wrote:

It’s the sequel of photoshop 7 then?
F
Flycaster
Oct 20, 2003
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:29:51 -0700, Flycaster wrote:

It’s the sequel of photoshop 7 then?

Yes.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
SE
Silivren Eryn-Duin
Oct 20, 2003
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:02:10 -0400, The Data Rat wrote:

Also, there is a free pug in at http://share.studio.adobe.com I tried it and it worked but it is faster for me to do it myself the way I mentioned.
I didn’t find the plugin you talked about…
H
Hecate
Oct 20, 2003
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:08:31 -0700, Mitchell Lorens
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:49:11 -0700, Hecate wrote
(in message ):

wrote:

www.andromeda.com

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui

I went test driving a new G5 today. They had Photoshop Elements on it. There’s this big thing for red-eye correction. Elements is an app for the masses. They make it easy. Maybe you can check it out if you haven’t already.

And I’ll bet what it’s doing is Select>colour group and so forth, which you can set up as an action in PS. 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
H
Hecate
Oct 20, 2003
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:44:36 +0200, Silivren Eryn-Duin
wrote:

Adobe’s attempt to pretend it’s Microsoft. 😉

Photoshop 8.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
MH
Matti Haveri
Oct 21, 2003
In article <3f92bd3e$>,
"JohnF" wrote:

1. Make a rough selection with the lasso tool to include all the pupil. It doesn’t matter if it includes some of the iris so long as it includes all the pupil and none of the lid.

3. Go to Image>Apply Image and in the source channel select the green or blue channel.

4. Set the blending mode to darken, press enter, and a perfect correction is made.

That was a nice technique. My current favorite which doesn’t need any selections is:

Reset the Foreground and Background colors and paint with a 100% Brush in Saturation or Color mode to make the pupil gray. You may then want to use the Burn tool in 50% Exposure Midtones to make the pupil darker while maintaining the tiny white reflection and some gray pixels around it.

Matti Haveri <mattiDOThaveriATsjokiDOTutaeiroskaaDOTfi> remove ei roskaa
JW
JP White
Oct 22, 2003
Hecate wrote:

Photoshop 8.

I remember when Fiat went away from have their car models as numbers to having a car ‘name’ instead (like Strada – talk about a rust bucket – but it went quick). The main business reason is that a number cannot be trademarked or copyrighted, names may be eligible.

It’s my guess that’s why they went with a name for legal reasons as well as marketing. It also defeats the possibility of someone coming up with Fotoshop 9 in an attempt to gain some instant sales off Adobe’s back.

‘Creative Suite’ just rolls of the tongue don’t you think? I wonder how much they paid for someone to dream it up. 8 would have been cheaper to come up with. I wonder if the next version will be Photoshop 2005? How many names can one come up with?

JP
H
Hecate
Oct 22, 2003
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:31:43 -0500, JP White
wrote:

Hecate wrote:

Photoshop 8.

I remember when Fiat went away from have their car models as numbers to having a car ‘name’ instead (like Strada – talk about a rust bucket – but it went quick). The main business reason is that a number cannot be trademarked or copyrighted, names may be eligible.

It’s my guess that’s why they went with a name for legal reasons as well as marketing. It also defeats the possibility of someone coming up with Fotoshop 9 in an attempt to gain some instant sales off Adobe’s back.
‘Creative Suite’ just rolls of the tongue don’t you think? I wonder how much they paid for someone to dream it up. 8 would have been cheaper to come up with. I wonder if the next version will be Photoshop 2005? How many names can one come up with?
Photoshop is a registered trademark, and certain;y in the UK, there is an offence of "passing off" which would have anyone attempting to do that in jail so fast their feet wouldn’t touch…

No, I think it’s just a marketing ploy to cover their adoption of activation and make people think they;re getting a lot more for their money in the hope that they won’t notice that they’ve been locked into Adobe’s system, and that the included software is still Photoshop and that sorry dog of a program Image Ready.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
TD
The Data Rat
Oct 23, 2003
I didn’t find the plugin you talked about…

It is called Red Eye Removal Action
The full string is:
http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=40 22&back=http%3A%2F%2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxQu ickSearchSubmit%2Easp%3Ftxt%3Dred%2Beye%26allprods%3D2%26sub mit1%2Ex%3D19%26submit1%2Ey%3D10

or find it under http://share.studio.adobe.com and type in red eye removal under "what to find" and "Photoshop" under "what to find"

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:02:10 -0400, The Data Rat wrote:

Also, there is a free pug in at http://share.studio.adobe.com I tried it and it worked but it is faster for me to do it myself the way I
mentioned.
N
noreply
Oct 23, 2003
Hecate wrote in message

and that sorry dog of a program Image Ready.
I’ve been watching you and I can tell you’re definitely warming to it.

But here’s a dilemma for you, swap my ME for your IR.

Just can’t decide can you? Go on you know you want to.

Brian
(the other one)
H
Hecate
Oct 23, 2003
On 23 Oct 2003 04:47:20 -0700, (mono) wrote:

Hecate wrote in message

and that sorry dog of a program Image Ready.
I’ve been watching you and I can tell you’re definitely warming to it.
But here’s a dilemma for you, swap my ME for your IR.

Just can’t decide can you? Go on you know you want to.

Brian
(the other one)

hahaha! IR? I’d probably pay you to take it away 😉

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
PB
Paul Burdett
Oct 24, 2003
John…it works great..thanks very much!!

Paul (newbie to this n/g)

"JohnF" wrote in message

1. Make a rough selection with the lasso tool to include all the pupil. It doesn’t matter if it includes some of the iris so long as it includes
all
the pupil and none of the lid.

3. Go to Image>Apply Image and in the source channel select the green
or
blue channel.

4. Set the blending mode to darken, press enter, and a perfect
correction
is made.

JohnF

Yes it is convenient but that is the difference between PSP and
Photoshop.
PSP is convenient and Photoshop is a no hand holding tool of the trade
which

NIK

E
Eliska
Oct 26, 2003
On 19 Oct 2003 12:33:56 -0700, (Martin) wrote:

Do a search of this newsgroup for a message by On
August 26, 1999 he posted a really good Photoshop method for removing red eye. It’s simple, fast and the results are excellent. The following is text from that message:

area is in the Red channel (duh!). The red eye area in the Green and Blue channels should be healthy, and should look similar. Go to either
the Green or Blue channel and select (by any method you prefer) the dark part of the eye (pupil & irus). You can select some of the white of the eye too, but make sure you don’t select any skin! When it’s selected, copy it to the clipboard. Go to your Red channel, and Paste!! Red eye gone, and looks very realistic."

A belated thank you for this fantastic technique. I just wiped out red eye in my family photo album!!!!!!

Eliska
HB
henri.baeyens
Oct 26, 2003

JP

Apple’s OS X, now it’s jaguar, panther…
H
Hecate
Oct 27, 2003
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:33:34 +0100, "henri.baeyens" wrote:

Really, it’s just a pussy cat…

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
S
Stephan
Oct 27, 2003
"Hecate" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:33:34 +0100, "henri.baeyens" wrote:

Really, it’s just a pussy cat…
Some say it’s a dog

Stephan
Q
Quintsys
Oct 28, 2003
Martin wrote:
Silivren Eryn-Duin …

Hi,

cut

Yessir!
I tried most of the abovementioned tricks, and this is my favorite (at least for the clear red eye I tried as a test case.

thanx,

carlo

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections