B
Posted By
Badger
Sep 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using the ‘batch’ Rename function which I believed would be really useful, so that images could be named with proper names rather than the usual IMG001,002 etc. So I adopted a solution of renaming all the files as Spain Holiday 2007-1,-2 up to 11 in one of my folders. Thinking that PSE6 would then still order the pictures properly. It doesn’t unfortunately. I’m guessing PSE6 treats the field as ‘text’ rather than interpreting the number at the end, and this means you get the following order:

Spain Holiday 2007-1
Spain Holiday 2007-10
Spain Holiday 2007-11
Spain Holiday 2007-2
etc. etc.

Annoying and frustratingly, everything appears in the wrong order and any attempt to rename as a batch now means that it will treat number 10 before number 2.

Using the Instant Tag function doesn’t change anything really as you can use Date View anytime, tagged or not. The Date view ‘view’ has no capacity to show pictures like the Browser view, so that you can see lots of thumbnails in the middle with all their names as far as I can see.

So in short – I think it’s a frustrating ‘feature’ that we can’t sort in date order in the browser view.

I keep having to go back to Windows Explorer now to see pictures in the right order – not what I thought would be happening having just paid

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
Lois
Sep 27, 2008
This is the way I rename files and it has worked flawlessly for me. This way files also get sorted by the year as well.

2007 000Spain Holiday
2007 001Spain Holiday
2007 002Spain Holiday
etc.

Hope this helps.
Lois

"Badger" wrote in message
I have been using the ‘batch’ Rename function which I believed would be really useful, so that images could be named with proper names rather than the usual IMG001,002 etc. So I adopted a solution of renaming all the files as Spain Holiday 2007-1,-2 up to 11 in one of my folders. Thinking that PSE6 would then still order the pictures properly. It doesn’t unfortunately. I’m guessing PSE6 treats the field as ‘text’ rather than interpreting the number at the end, and this means you get the following order:

Spain Holiday 2007-1
Spain Holiday 2007-10
Spain Holiday 2007-11
Spain Holiday 2007-2
etc. etc.

Annoying and frustratingly, everything appears in the wrong order and any attempt to rename as a batch now means that it will treat number 10 before number 2.

Using the Instant Tag function doesn’t change anything really as you can use Date View anytime, tagged or not. The Date view ‘view’ has no capacity to show pictures like the Browser view, so that you can see lots of thumbnails in the middle with all their names as far as I can see.
So in short – I think it’s a frustrating ‘feature’ that we can’t sort in date order in the browser view.

I keep having to go back to Windows Explorer now to see pictures in the right order – not what I thought would be happening having just paid £80 for PSE6.

If anyone has any a handy hint or work around I’d love to hear them.
Many thanks.

** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
M
michaelvm
Sep 27, 2008
Ad a placekeeping zero for the single digit numbers. then the sort will keep them in order.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:56:55 +0100, "Badger"
wrote:

Spain Holiday 2007-1
Spain Holiday 2007-10
Spain Holiday 2007-11
Spain Holiday 2007-2
etc. etc.

I keep having to go back to Windows Explorer now to see pictures in the right order – not what I thought would be happening having just paid £80 for PSE6.

Many thanks.
M
michaelvm
Sep 27, 2008
Ad a placekeeping zero for the single digit numbers. then the sort will keep them in order.

wrote:

Spain Holiday 2007-1
Spain Holiday 2007-10
Spain Holiday 2007-11
Spain Holiday 2007-2
etc. etc.

Many thanks.
B
Badger
Sep 27, 2008
Many thanks. So simple! However, it is a shame Adobe cannot sort the software out in the first place.

"michaelvm" wrote in message

wrote:

I have been using the ‘batch’ Rename function which I believed would be really useful, so that images could be named with proper names rather than the usual IMG001,002 etc. So I adopted a solution of renaming all the files
as Spain Holiday 2007-1,-2 up to 11 in one of my folders. Thinking that PSE6
would then still order the pictures properly. It doesn’t unfortunately. I’m
guessing PSE6 treats the field as ‘text’ rather than interpreting the number
at the end, and this means you get the following order:

Spain Holiday 2007-1
Spain Holiday 2007-10
Spain Holiday 2007-11
Spain Holiday 2007-2
etc. etc.

Using the Instant Tag function doesn’t change anything really as you can use
Date View anytime, tagged or not. The Date view ‘view’ has no capacity to show pictures like the Browser view, so that you can see lots of thumbnails
in the middle with all their names as far as I can see.

I keep having to go back to Windows Explorer now to see pictures in the right order – not what I thought would be happening having just paid
MS
Marty Schulze
Sep 29, 2008
Try this, as it might work. And let me know if it does:
Spain Holiday 2007-01 instead of SH 2007-1. Obviously if you have over 100 files, start with -001.
Marty in NJ

Spain Holiday 2007-1
Spain Holiday 2007-10
Spain Holiday 2007-11
Spain Holiday 2007-2
etc. etc.

RG
Roy G
Sep 29, 2008
Many thanks. So simple! However, it is a shame Adobe cannot sort the software out in the first place.

That requirement for numbering has existed in every computer and every program I have ever used, even long before I got P’shop.

You must have led a very sheltered life.

Roy G
B
Badger
Oct 6, 2008
Marty

Thanks for your suggestion, Some of my folders are just over 100 photos. I have used the format: Spain Holiday 2007-01 etc up to 2007-99, then I have gone 2007-99A, 2007-99B etc seems to work, However, the bottom line is it would be helpful if PSE6 could be configured to allow photos to be put in print date order in each folder.

Thanks again.

"Marty Schulze" wrote in message
Try this, as it might work. And let me know if it does:
Spain Holiday 2007-01 instead of SH 2007-1. Obviously if you have over 100 files, start with -001.
Marty in NJ

Spain Holiday 2007-1
Spain Holiday 2007-10
Spain Holiday 2007-11
Spain Holiday 2007-2
etc. etc.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections