P
Posted By
Patty
Jul 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wanted to try to do a quick monitor calibration using the AdobeGamma.cpl file. I have the book "The Photoshop Elements 6 Book" by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski. In the book they explain how to do this, but they suggest using the profile installed for your monitor. My monitor is an older CRT, Mag 986FS, monitor and its profile file is not an .icc but an .icm file. The Calibrator will not recognize the .icm file. Am I just out of luck with trying this? If I keep it on the default Adobe profile, at one point it tells me the Phosphors is HDTV and I know that’s not accurate for an older monitor like this. I don’t know what else to select since I can’t load the actual profile for my monitor.

I plan to eventually get a hardware calibrator like Spyder or X-Rite’s but my funds are limited at this time so I just thought I’d try the freebie calibrator from Adobe for now.

Thanks for any help.

Patty

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Jul 31, 2008
"Patty" wrote in message
I wanted to try to do a quick monitor calibration using the AdobeGamma.cpl file. I have the book "The Photoshop Elements 6 Book" by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski. In the book they explain how to do this, but they suggest
using the profile installed for your monitor. My monitor is an older CRT, Mag 986FS, monitor and its profile file is not an .icc but an .icm file. The Calibrator will not recognize the .icm file. Am I just out of luck with trying this? If I keep it on the default Adobe profile, at one point it tells me the Phosphors is HDTV and I know that’s not accurate for an older monitor like this. I don’t know what else to select since I can’t load the actual profile for my monitor.

I plan to eventually get a hardware calibrator like Spyder or X-Rite’s but my funds are limited at this time so I just thought I’d try the freebie calibrator from Adobe for now.

Thanks for any help.

Patty

Hi.

Have you checked the system folder which holds the profiles, for one called Generic P22 Monitor, or Sony Trinitron. Either of those would do as the starting point for an older type CRT Monitor.

If you don’t have them, I could Email the Generic one to you. It is a small file.

Roy G
P
Patty
Jul 31, 2008
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:31:21 +0100, Roy G wrote:

"Patty" wrote in message
I wanted to try to do a quick monitor calibration using the AdobeGamma.cpl file. I have the book "The Photoshop Elements 6 Book" by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski. In the book they explain how to do this, but they suggest
using the profile installed for your monitor. My monitor is an older CRT, Mag 986FS, monitor and its profile file is not an .icc but an .icm file. The Calibrator will not recognize the .icm file. Am I just out of luck with trying this? If I keep it on the default Adobe profile, at one point it tells me the Phosphors is HDTV and I know that’s not accurate for an older monitor like this. I don’t know what else to select since I can’t load the actual profile for my monitor.

Thanks for any help.

Patty

Hi.

Have you checked the system folder which holds the profiles, for one called Generic P22 Monitor, or Sony Trinitron. Either of those would do as the starting point for an older type CRT Monitor.

If you don’t have them, I could Email the Generic one to you. It is a small file.

Roy G

No, I do not have those. There are a number of .icc files listed and I think they were all put there by Photoshop Elements: AppleRGB.icc; CIERGB.icc; ColorMatch.icc; EuroscaleCoated.icc; EuroscaleUncoated.icc; JapanStandard.icc; NTSC1953.icc; PAL_SECAM.icc; SMPTE-C.icc; US Sheetfeed Coated.icc; US Sheetfeed Uncoated.icc; USWebCoatedSWOP.icc; USWebUncoatedSWOP.icc; and WideGamutRGB.icc. There are also .icm files in that location like my monitor: 986FS.icm, but that won’t work. I can contact you by email. The Phosphorus setting shows the Triniton, but it is not showing as an .icc file.

Patty

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections