Posted By
noone
May 3, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PSE 6.

I’m trying to use the Crop tool, but it doesn’t work the way I want. I want the cropped image to be a smaller sized file. What PSE does is after I define a crop rectangle, it then resample the image to maintain the original pixel size. I don’t want it to resample. I just want to crop off part of the picture, resulting in final size of fewer (unresampled) pixels.

In other words, if I start with a picture of 3000×2000 pixels and then crop out just the center, I should end up with a smaller image, say 1500×1000. But that’s not what PSE does. It then resamples the smaller crop area to maintain a total image size of 3000×2000. That’s not what I want.

Here’s what I want to do. Start with a picture of 3000×2000. I then want to crop a rectangle of exactly the same aspect ration as the original (3×2) and lose the pixels outside the crop area. The resulting pixel size should represent just the area I cropped. No resample.

Is there a way to tell PSE I don’t want it resampling my crops?

Thanks.

Bruce.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

F
Fritzsch
May 6, 2008
In article <OY6Tj.2029$ says…

Here’s what I want to do. Start with a picture of 3000×2000. I then want to crop a rectangle of exactly the same aspect ration as the original (3×2) and lose the pixels outside the crop area. The resulting pixel size should represent just the area I cropped. No resample.

Is there a way to tell PSE I don’t want it resampling my crops? …

From "PSE 6 The Missing Manual" I learned using the Marquee Tool for that kind of task. Once the Marquee Tool is active, you can go to the options bar and choose "Fixed Aspect Ratio" (you could also give exact dimensions for with, and height). After marqueeing, you do a Image -> Crop, and you get what you want 🙂

Hope that helps,
———————————————————— ————- Ralf Fritzsch
Bundesanstalt fuer Wasserbau Federal Waterways Engineering and Research Dienststelle Kueste Institute – Department Hamburg ———————————————————— ————- Unix _IS_ user friendly – it’s just selective about who its friends are. ———————————————————— ————-
N
noone
May 10, 2008
"Bruce." wrote in message

Is there a way to tell PSE I don’t want it resampling my crops?

For anyone interested, here is the solution. At the top of the picture is the "resolution" boxes. Width, Height, Resolution. The secret is to first blank those boxes before doing a crop. You can choose the Aspect Ratio "No Resolution" from the drop down box on the left to blank all 3 boxes.

Then when you use the crop tool, PSE will crop pixels without resampling.

Bruce.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections