N
Posted By
noone
Apr 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using it for a few days and I am very impressed. The last time I looked at it was version 2 and it was too primitive back then. It’s grown up a lot since then and I just purchased it.

The only feature I wish it had that I haven’t found so far, is the ability to straighten a picture using a vertical line, not just a horizontal one. I take a lot of city shots with no horizontal lines to be found anywhere, but zillions of vertical lines, lampposts, buildings, etc.

I don’t know why I take so many crooked pictures but I do.

On another note, they might as well scrap the auto straightness. I have yet to find a photo they work on. They usually end up at a 45 degree slant.

Bruce.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JM
Joseph Meehan
Apr 20, 2008
I suspect there would be even more problems with vertical lines due to keystone effects.

"Bruce." wrote in message
I’ve been using it for a few days and I am very impressed. The last time I looked at it was version 2 and it was too primitive back then. It’s grown up a lot since then and I just purchased it.

The only feature I wish it had that I haven’t found so far, is the ability to straighten a picture using a vertical line, not just a horizontal one. I take a lot of city shots with no horizontal lines to be found anywhere, but zillions of vertical lines, lampposts, buildings, etc.
On another note, they might as well scrap the auto straightness. I have yet to find a photo they work on. They usually end up at a 45 degree slant.

Bruce.

Joseph Meehan

Dia ‘s Muire duit
M
mick
Apr 20, 2008

Bruce.

not quite sure what you mean, but is this what you are looking for. under view menu switch on grid
under image menu choose transform, there are four options

mick
N
noone
Apr 21, 2008
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I suspect there would be even more problems with vertical lines due to keystone effects.

Since ground usually isn’t level either, that leaves us with few choices. At least buildings are usually vertical independent of the ground slope. But as you say, you have to be careful just which edge of which building you use. Anyway, I generally find buildings and other vertical structures to be more reliable than the earth.

If you’re visiting northern Georgia, vertical tree trunks are about the only edges they have. 🙂

Bruce.
N
noone
Apr 21, 2008
"mick" wrote in message
not quite sure what you mean, but is this what you are looking for. under view menu switch on grid

It may not be what I was looking for, but it is a help. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bruce.
T
Thor
Apr 21, 2008
Hold down the ctrl key and you can straighten vertical lines.

"Bruce." wrote in message

Bruce.
SB
Sandy Birrell
Apr 21, 2008
Bruce. wrote:
"mick" wrote in message

It may not be what I was looking for, but it is a help. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bruce.

Try the Crop tool.

Pull out a thin crop from the top to bottom of the picture down a verticle line you want to straighten the picture to.

Go to the edge of the crop till you see the arched arrows which rotates the crop and move the cursor left or right till the edges of the crop are parrallel with the verticle line.

When you are happy pull out the corner handles to the edge of your picture, or to where ever you want the crop to be, you might be cropping out things in the picture anyway.

Apply crop and it crops and straightens all at the same time.This can also be used in horizontal mode to straighten the horizon.

HTH.

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

E-Mail:-
Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019 Fishing Wild at http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/
N
noone
Apr 21, 2008
"Thor" wrote in message

Thanks so much Thor! That works perfectly. I coudln’t find that tip anywhere.

Bruce.
N
noone
Apr 21, 2008
"Sandy Birrell" wrote in message
Try the Crop tool.

Pull out a thin crop from the top to bottom of the picture down a verticle line you want to straighten the picture to.

Go to the edge of the crop till you see the arched arrows which rotates the crop and move the cursor left or right till the edges of the crop are parrallel with the verticle line.

When you are happy pull out the corner handles to the edge of your picture, or to where ever you want the crop to be, you might be cropping out things in the picture anyway.

Apply crop and it crops and straightens all at the same time.This can also be used in horizontal mode to straighten the horizon.

Wow, thanks so much Sandy. I never would have found that. No tonly can it be used to straighten pictures but learned something new about the crop tool, that it can be rotated! I’m sure I’ll be using that trick again.

Bruce.
R
Roger
Apr 21, 2008
On Apr 20, 5:36 pm, "Bruce." wrote:

Bruce.

To align horizontally, draw a line in the image to represent the new straight horizontal edge.
To align vertically, hold down Ctrl and draw a line to represent the new straight vertical edge.
Also set Canvas Options to "Crop to Remove Background".

Roger
R
Roger
Apr 21, 2008
On Apr 21, 10:08 am, Roger wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:36 pm, "Bruce." wrote:

Bruce.

To align horizontally, draw a line in the image to represent the new straight horizontal edge.
To align vertically, hold down Ctrl and draw a line to represent the new straight vertical edge.
Also set Canvas Options to "Crop to Remove Background".
Roger

Sorry, I realize now that this question had already been answered. I relied on the Digest and didn’t check the forum itself.

Roger
N
noone
Apr 21, 2008
"Roger" wrote in message
Sorry, I realize now that this question had already been answered. I relied on the Digest and didn’t check the forum itself.

Thank you very much for your reply Roger.

Bruce.
Jun 2, 2008
"Thor" wrote:

Sounds great, but I miss when to do this.

pi
N
noone
Jun 2, 2008
"Boris ‘pi’ Piwinger" wrote in message
"Thor" wrote:

Sounds great, but I miss when to do this.

Assuming you are already in the Elements photo editor, not the organizer, open a picture that needs straightening. That is the picture was taken tilted by mistake.

Click on the Straighten Tool in the tools bar at the left. It looks like 2 squares, the one in back is tilted.

Identify a straight line that should be perfectly horizontal or vertical. This could be the horizon, or the edge of a building.

If you identify a horizontal line, then click and drag on that line until you get to the end. A line will be drawn as you drag. When you release the mouse, the picture will be straightened however much it takes to make your drawn line horizontal.

If you identify a vertical line, then do the same but hold down the Ctrl key as you draw a vertical line.. When you release the mouse, the picture will be straightened however much it takes to make your drawn line vertical.

Bruce.
Jun 3, 2008
"Bruce." wrote:

Click on the Straighten Tool in the tools bar at the left. It looks like 2 squares, the one in back is tilted.

Identify a straight line that should be perfectly horizontal or vertical. This could be the horizon, or the edge of a building.

If you identify a horizontal line, then click and drag on that line until you get to the end. A line will be drawn as you drag. When you release the mouse, the picture will be straightened however much it takes to make your drawn line horizontal.

If you identify a vertical line, then do the same but hold down the Ctrl key as you draw a vertical line.. When you release the mouse, the picture will be straightened however much it takes to make your drawn line vertical.

Thanks for you detailed description. I very much appreciate it. Do I understand correctly, that this rotates the picture and does not stretch it?

For example I took a picture of the dome in Vienna. Left and right corner of the building should be parallel, but
actually show a perspective stretch.

There transform does a great job. Also using the crop tool is neat.

The only thing I miss comparted to CS3 are guides (not sure if this is the right word I use a German version).

pi
N
noone
Jun 4, 2008
"Boris ‘pi’ Piwinger" wrote in message
Thanks for you detailed description. I very much appreciate it. Do I understand correctly, that this rotates the picture and does not stretch it?

That’s correct. The Straighten Tool we’ve been discussing here only rotates a picture.

Note that in the option bar you have the option to Grow or Shrink Canvas to Fit, Crop to Remove Background, or Crop to Original Size.

I usually use Crop to Remove Background.

Bruce.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections