CA
Posted By
Carey A Hardin
Sep 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Invisioning a 2-color project, I erroneously worked in CMYK, using only black and my pantone red. My printer is telling me he can’t print it in only two colors. I tried changing it to a duotone, but that didn’t work at all. Please advise.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bob Levine
Sep 9, 2003
What didn’t work?

To go from CMYK to duotone, first you have to convert to grayscale and then duotone. Pick your two inks and then save as EPS.

Bob
B
BLUDVLZ
Sep 10, 2003
Carey,

Are you looking to apply spot color to only a specific area of a grayscale image? Or are you looking for a more blanked applicaton of color, like Bob suggested by using a duotone?
JS
John Slate
Sep 10, 2003
First of all, if the file is CMYK, it does not contain a pantone red, it contains a CMYK red based on choosing a pantone red in the color picker… Therein lies your problem. The file has 4 plates not 2 and the "black" areas have tone on all 4 plates instead of only the black.

Try this:

Convert to RGB.

Change CMYK ink setup to custom, and change GCR to maximum.

Convert back to CYMK.

If the reddest part of the red does not contain 100% magenta, use selective color in reds to make it so (add saturation).

Copy the magenta channel, make a new SPOT color channel designated with the proper PMS number, and paste.

Either delete the Cyan, Mag and Yellow channels or fill them with white. It’s up to you.

Save as a DCS2 file, single file, color composite.

Remember to reset your CMYK ink setup after doing this!
L
LenHewitt
Sep 10, 2003
Cary,

In the Channels palette, switch off the black channel. Select all and copy. Create a new spot channel, for your pantone red. Paste the contents of the clipboard into that spot channel.

Do the same for the black channel – i.e. switch off all other channels and copy the content of the black channel into a new (black) spot channel.

Switch mode to multi-channel and delete all but your two spot channels. Save as DCS2-EPS, Multiple file with colour composite, 8-bit preview and ASCII encoding

NOTE:

Spot channels overprint by default. If you require knock-outs you will have to create them manually by deleting that area from the other channel
CA
Carey A Hardin
Sep 10, 2003
Okay…no, I’m not looking for a duotone; what I need is spot color. My project is a carry-out menu with mostly black text, some red. I also have shades of gray in boxes, borders, etc. I think the real problem lies herein: I converted several 4-color photos to look something like sketches (per an article in Photoshop User), then copied the redish areas to a top layer and color overlayed. I believe those photos will pose the biggest problems, as underneath all the filters, etc. they really are 4-color. I’ll give your complicated techniques a go and let you know what happens. Thanks for your imput.
CA
Carey A Hardin
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks, all. Worked out great. Printer is tickled.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections