KM
Posted By
Kent McPherson
Jan 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any recommendations on photo printers out there? I have an HP Photosmart 8250 that prints nicely and quickly but the photos quickly yellow/fade. HP can give me answer why so I’m ready to dump it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MC
Michael Calverley
Jan 9, 2008
Kent McPherson wrote:
Any recommendations on photo printers out there? I have an HP Photosmart 8250 that prints nicely and quickly but the photos quickly yellow/fade. HP can give me answer why so I’m ready to dump it.

I am not sure about HP’s current inks, but some of the original inks were water based.

You will have to research thru independent sources if that it the case.

Also just as an FYI, I have seen differences using the same print & ink, but different paper.

I currently use a Canon i860. Not a top of the line printer, but it works for me. I have a picture in my office that I has been tacked on my partition wall. It has been there for 4 years and it starting to fade. However, I have the same picture in my home and it is out of direct sunlight and looks OK.

When I purchase a new printer, I will purchase an Epson. I have talked to several professional photographers and they all use Epson.
JM
Joseph Meehan
Jan 9, 2008
"Kent McPherson" wrote in message

Are you using HP ink? Often third party inks then to fade more.

Sorry I don’t know who has the best (least fading) inks today.

Joseph Meehan

Dia ‘s Muire duit
KM
Kent McPherson
Jan 9, 2008
Yes, I’m using HP ink and HP paper. Still waiting to hear back from Tech Support.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

Joseph Meehan

Dia ‘s Muire duit

S
sced13ri
Jan 9, 2008
Kent McPherson wrote:
Yes, I’m using HP ink and HP paper. Still waiting to hear back from Tech Support.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
You may find the following link helpful evaluating the ink qualities of the leading printer manufacturers.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/index.html

It’s a bit cluttered but some photo gurus seem to find it very reliable. Good luck.

sced13ri
MR
Mark Rathgeber
Jan 10, 2008
For what it’s worth, I have had a Canon i850 for probably four years or so, and I only use it for photos, either 4×6 or letter size. I only use Canon ink and paper. I get the ink at Sam’s and the paper at Staples when it’s on sale. I constantly have people tell me that the prints look just as those from a photo lab, and I’m quite happy with them, but of course they’re only as good as the original image. I don’t know of any that are in direct sunlight, but I wouldn’t even do that to a photo and sunlight will ruin just about anything. (Look at what it does to skin!) I’m probably sold on Canon for life, unless I read several reviews that would indicate otherwise. I’m sure that other brands are probably also good, but it’s kinda like the difference between Chevy and Ford, or Toyota and Honda.

Read lots of reviews, such as on Pricegrabber, Amazon, etc.

| Any recommendations on photo printers out there? I have an HP Photosmart | 8250 that prints nicely and quickly but the photos quickly yellow/fade. HP | can give me answer why so I’m ready to dump it.
|
|
B
Bob AZ
Jan 10, 2008
�I only use Canon
ink and paper. �I get the ink at Sam’s and the paper at Staples when it’s on sale. �I constantly have people tell me that the prints look just as those from a photo lab, and I’m quite happy with them, but of course they’re only as good as the original image. >

Mark

Have you tried the paper from both Sams and COSTCO?

I use lots of both and the pricing is certaily very favorable.

Bob AZ
P
PhotoSci
Jan 10, 2008
You may wish to be cautious about some of the ratings you find at Wilhelm Imaging Research. Some reports on that site have omitted the results of selected tests that could be less than favorable to specific company’s products, saying that some tests for product is still under testing years after the product review was originally posted. Remember, manufacturers pay WIR lots of money to have tests run, and Wilhelm has appeared as a spokesman at company booths. An ozone-resistance test, for example, is one of the quickest to run and shouldn’t be missing in a rating years after the slower light or thermal fade tests appear.

Many after market inks, as WIR claims, are indeed poor investments. But some makers of premium after market inks for art prints claim that WIR has limited its tests only to known bad products, and that their materials compete well with OM inks.

You may find the following link helpful evaluating the ink qualities of the leading printer manufacturers.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/index.html

It’s a bit cluttered but some photo gurus seem to find it very reliable. Good luck.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections