MT
Posted By
Mindy_Thomas
Dec 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I fade an entire picture? I selected it with the marque, clicked edit, fade but nothing happened.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DR
Donald_Reese
Dec 18, 2007
One way to do it would be to go to the layer drop down menu and select- layer from background. after you do that,go to the opacity slider in the layer palette and fade it to whatever you want.
P
Phosphor
Dec 18, 2007
Before you do that, make sure the Background is turned into a Layer by double-clicking on it (or Alt double-clicking to avoid the naming dialog).

FYI: Edit>Fade is used not to fade a picture, but to back off from the effects of a filter or adjustment. For instance, try running Levels on an image and then go to Edit>Fade to knock back the effect by some percentage.
MT
Mindy_Thomas
Dec 19, 2007
When I did those steps I get a grey/white checkered background and the only way I got rid of it was to flatten the image.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 19, 2007
the checkered background indicates transparency. when you save in a format that supports transparency (gif or png for example) you can then use that image on a web page (or page layout app, etc). the places where you see the checkerboard in photoshop will be see through (transparent) on the web page.
DR
Donald_Reese
Dec 19, 2007
You can set the background in your prefs to be the checkered,or not at all if you want it that way.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections