PhotoShop CS3 10.0.1 takes FOREVER to open a file…

CA
Posted By
Chris_Addison
Dec 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello! I have read about other people having this problem, only none of the fixes have worked for me. Hopefully someone can help me out…

Computer information:

Windows XP Pro
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
2.00 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Problem:

When I open a file… any file, any size… it doesn’t matter if it’s 1GB or 1KB… it takes about 30 seconds to open the file. It also doesn’t matter if it’s on my hard drive or on the network… it’s the same.

This is what I’ve tried:

• I have removed all printers – No Change
• I have removed all network connections – No Change
• I have disabled ALL startups – No Change
• I upped my paging file size to over 4GBs – No Change
• I went through all of the instructions to better PS performance and tried just about everything – No Change
• I changed my display settings and completely removed all Windows "effects" such as shadowing on buttons, animated scrolling, etc. – Slight change in overall system performance, however, there was no change in file opening speed.

ANY HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED!!!

-Chris

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John_Joslin
Dec 18, 2007
Try installing the Adobe Generic PostScript Printer, available as a free download.
B
babaloo
Dec 19, 2007
What you are describing can be "normal" for Vista but is not normal for XP. Does this occur when you open files from other programs or from Explorer? Is there a delay in copying files from one folder to another in Explorer? A wild guess: is there a newer video driver for the ATI card? Also: download and run Microsoft’s free memory diagnostic utility. If it is a RAM problem it shows up immediately.
Test the hard drive your files are stored on also.
JH
Juergen Heinzl
Dec 21, 2007
schrieb:
Hello! I have read about other people having this problem, only none of the fixes have worked for me. Hopefully someone can help me out…

Computer information:

Windows XP Pro Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz 2.00 GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Problem:

When I open a file… any file, any size… it doesn’t matter if it’s 1GB or 1KB… it takes about 30 seconds to open the file. It also doesn’t matter if it’s on my hard drive or on the network… it’s the same.

Anything `spurious in the system event logs? I mean certainly mustn’t take that long and on my a few years older machine PS CS3 runs quite fine. XP Pro, too by the way.

Process Monitor a./o. File Monitor, both which can be downloaded from Microsoft for a while now, may be helpful, too to find out what seems to be trashing your machine.

Oh and another question – once you’ve loaded a file and then load either another or again a new file after closing the previous one, doesn’t really matter, does it still take that long?

Just checking for if (I really don’t know here) PS loads additional dynamic link libraries or such from the HD when loading a picture of a certain format a soon failing HD may be the cause (the second time all PS needs should be cached in memory already.)

Good luck and hopefully it isn’t something serious,
Juergen

I’ve got nothing to hide, but I’ve got nothing to share either.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections