S
Posted By
steve
Nov 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to keep the numbers the Camera has given my pictures, however I want to change letters at the beggining of the file name. eg.

Curretly I have dsc_00123.nef and I want to change it to vacation_00123.nef. However photoshop elements 5 seems to want to renumber the pictures if I give the file a new name. Are there any solutions out there that can allow me to do this. There must be some batch.bat or free program that can do this for me.

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bob AZ
Nov 29, 2007
On Nov 27, 12:33�pm, steve wrote:
I want to keep the numbers the Camera has given my pictures, however I want to change letters at the beggining of the file name. eg.
Curretly I have dsc_00123.nef and I want to change it to vacation_00123.nef. However photoshop elements 5 seems to want to renumber the pictures if I give the file a new name. Are there any solutions out there that can allow me to do this. There must be some batch.bat or free program that can do this for me.

Thanks.

Steve

First and foremost:

When downloading you pictures to the computer place them in a file of your own choosing. Don’t worry about printing them at this point. Just get them in an orderly manner/place where nothing will change.

Mine automatically go to a directory/file with my camera make and model as part of the directory/file name. eg 20D45. I use a downloader from Microsoft. Easy to use and free.

Then after I have the pictures where I want, I edit and print as I want to. The downloader numbers the pictures in the same order as the camera takes them. And I never change the picture number.

Actually the picture number is a file name. So I call up whatever picture I want and go from there. When I look in the directory I see both the file number and the associated image.

Hope this helps
Bob AZ
S
steve
Nov 29, 2007
Bob,
I think ?? i have found the software you are speaking about, is it by Forusoft.com It seems like a ms download but says its a trial version which expires in 30 days ?? is that right ??
B
Bob AZ
Nov 30, 2007
On Nov 29, 12:01�pm, steve wrote:
Bob,
I think ?? i have found the software you are speaking about, is it by Forusoft.com It seems like a ms download but says its a trial version which expires in 30 days ?? is that right ??

Steve

Microsoft Windows Picture Acquisition Manager, 423K,
V5.1.2600.2160or2180 I think.

A search of the MicroSoft site should find it. If not I will send it to you. An article in RangeFinder magazine put me on to it.

Let me know

Take care
Bob AZ
S
steve
Nov 30, 2007
Bob,
After doing alot of searching it appears that the software that you are speaking about is already installed on my computer. I couldnt find anywhere that it could be downloaded, although it appears there is considerable mention of it in various places. I think it is an install on XP that is automatically downloaded in one of the service packs.

1. Can you tell me if it is the same software that I have. When I type the following command in the start/run wiaacmgr. I believe this is the software that is opening up.

2. However I’m not sure it will resolve the problem I’m having. That is.. I only want to change the first letters on a file not the number. The reason for this is that If Im away, I put pictures on CD’s to back them up. They always start with DSC_ then the number. I want to keep the numbers when I download the pictures to my computer but change the beginning to something more descriptive. Eg Christmas_00234 or England07_001345. The reason for for this is that sometimes I want to refer back to the CD where I put the originals. If the number changes its a matter of going through them all and matching the Picture, date and time etc.

Regards
B
Bob AZ
Nov 30, 2007
.. I think it is an install
on XP that is automatically downloaded in one of the service packs.

Regards

Steve

After my last message I did a google search using "wiaacmgr.exe" as a single word. I came across a site that has all the versions of Microsoft Windows Picture Acquisition Manager. here were at least 4 if not more of them.

If you are out away from your regular computer simply organize things the same way you have them at your usual computer when downloading to CDs.

When I am using Microsoft Windows Picture Acquisition Manager I simply have to connect the camera or whatever and Microsoft Windows Picture Acquisition Manager comes right up. Even knows what camera I have connected.

It seems I remember the first time I used Microsoft Windows Picture Acquisition Manager I had to specify a few defaults. No real biggie.

When calling up Microsoft Windows Picture Acquisition Manager be sure to use the following: wiaacmgr.exe.

Send me an email address if you would like me to send the program.

Hope this helps.

Bob AZ
S
steve
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks I seem to have it now.
Yes perhaps thats the best way to do things.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Steve.
DS
Dick Snyder
Dec 1, 2007
"steve" wrote in message

Thanks.

I use Renamer for doing this. You can DL it here:

http://www.den4b.com/downloads.php?project=ReNamer
S
steve
Dec 1, 2007
Thanks I will takea looke.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections