D
Posted By
Dean-MN
Nov 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’m using PE3 with Vista HP and a network consisting in part of an external hard drive attached to a Linksys NSL2. My problem is PE won’t import files from a memory card into the network share I have set up for my JPG files. The message PE returns is "Cannot write to the specified directory. Please choose a different directory." This is in the "Preferences > Camera or Card Reader" dialog. In the "Preferences > Files"
dialog the network share can be selected. Having to import files to the internal HD then moving and reconnecting them is really more than I care to do as a casual user.

Question: 1) Is there a setting I’m missing in PE3 to enable use of my network for importing files? 2)Is PE6, that is Vista compatible, able to do this?

…. Dean

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
DotCom
Nov 25, 2007
I don’t think PE3 is compatible with Vista. I had PE4 on it which mostly worked but had some quirks. PE5 was touted as mostly working with Vista and PE6 is fully compatible with Vista. Your combination of PE3 and Vista may be your primary problem.
dot

"Dean-MN" wrote in message
Hi, I’m using PE3 with Vista HP and a network consisting in part of an external hard drive attached to a Linksys NSL2. My problem is PE won’t import files from a memory card into the network share I have set up for my JPG files. The message PE returns is "Cannot write to the specified directory. Please choose a different directory." This is in the "Preferences > Camera or Card Reader" dialog. In the "Preferences > Files" dialog the network share can be selected. Having to import files to the internal HD then moving and reconnecting them is really more than I care to do as a casual user.

Question: 1) Is there a setting I’m missing in PE3 to enable use of my network for importing files? 2)Is PE6, that is Vista compatible, able to do this?

… Dean
JU
jclarke.usenet
Nov 25, 2007
Dean-MN wrote:
Hi, I’m using PE3 with Vista HP and a network consisting in part of an external hard drive attached to a Linksys NSL2. My problem is PE won’t import files from a memory card into the network share I have set up for my JPG files. The message PE returns is "Cannot write to the specified directory. Please choose a different directory." This is in the "Preferences > Camera or Card Reader" dialog. In the "Preferences > Files" dialog the network share can be selected. Having to import files to the internal HD then moving and reconnecting them is really more than I care to do as a casual user.
Question: 1) Is there a setting I’m missing in PE3 to enable use of my
network for importing files? 2)Is PE6, that is Vista compatible, able to do this?

PE5 does it fine on my system under Vista, saving to a share on a 2K3 server. Presumably PE6 can do the same.

But, before you go too far in that direction, I’ve got a stupid thing to try. Older applications sometimes assume the conventions of folder names being 8 characters or less and that any drive including a network share will have a drive letter assigned. So make sure that the location to which you are trying to save appears to the machine on which Vista is installed to have a drive letter and that all directory names in the path are 8 characters or less long (also that they don’t use any "special" characters, spaces, etc).

Another thing to confirm is that you do in fact have write permission on the destination share–make sure that you really can copy files onto it, create files on it, and save files on it.

There’s also the possibility of either a compatibility problem between the NSL2 and Vista–Linksys hasn’t updated the firmware on that in a while and it’s using some variation of Samba to provide SMB support rather than Microsoft code so it’s possible that it doesn’t work and play well with the version of SMB included with Vista.

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Net work_Storage&message.id=917 gives a variety of things to try–googling "NSLU2 Vista" will get a lot more.

–John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
D
Dean-MN
Nov 25, 2007
Thanks for the thoughts. The PE3 installed on Vista HP works well. Files on the network can be thumbnailed, copied, edited, saved, moved etc. The only function PE3 will not do is import files to a network share. Right now I am importing files to the default folder on the internal hard drive then moving the folder to the network share, deleting the now disconnected thumbnails and importing them again from the network location. It’s kind of fussy but needs to be done that way to preserve any folder/file order… Dean

J. Clarke wrote:
Dean-MN wrote:
Question: 1) Is there a setting I’m missing in PE3 to enable use of my
network for importing files? 2)Is PE6, that is Vista compatible, able to do this?

PE5 does it fine on my system under Vista, saving to a share on a 2K3 server. Presumably PE6 can do the same.

But, before you go too far in that direction, I’ve got a stupid thing to try. Older applications sometimes assume the conventions of folder names being 8 characters or less and that any drive including a network share will have a drive letter assigned. So make sure that the location to which you are trying to save appears to the machine on which Vista is installed to have a drive letter and that all directory names in the path are 8 characters or less long (also that they don’t use any "special" characters, spaces, etc).

Another thing to confirm is that you do in fact have write permission on the destination share–make sure that you really can copy files onto it, create files on it, and save files on it.

There’s also the possibility of either a compatibility problem between the NSL2 and Vista–Linksys hasn’t updated the firmware on that in a while and it’s using some variation of Samba to provide SMB support rather than Microsoft code so it’s possible that it doesn’t work and play well with the version of SMB included with Vista.

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Net work_Storage&message.id=917 gives a variety of things to try–googling "NSLU2 Vista" will get a lot more.

B
Bob
Dec 18, 2007
"Dean-MN" wrote in message

… Dean

Disable UAC and see if that helps.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections